"Simple" Wire Connections For light

Old 04-29-17, 01:17 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Simple" Wire Connections For light

Power via 12-2 is coming to a pre-existing junction box. I want to avoid running a 12-2 to a light switch 20 feet away, and then a second 12-2 back all the way back to where the light fixture will be, which is in the direction of the junction box, but beyond it. (In other words, the junction box is between the switch and the fixture). So ideally, the cable from the light fixture would be short and go to the junction box, while the cable from the light switch would also go to the junction box, where all 3 cables will meet. How do I do connect the 3 blacks and the 3 whites? I think one of the whites has to be paired with one of the blacks? Thank you.

Old 04-29-17, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,952 Votes on 2,664 Posts
This would be the basic setup. Since the white to the switch is being used as a hot wire... it needs to be taped/colored at both ends so that it's not confused as a neutral.

Name:  switchloop.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  11.9 KB

The code now calls for a neutral to be present at a switch location for future use.
That means you would run a three wire cable from the junction box to the switch.
A diagram can be provided if you want to go that way.

Old 04-29-17, 01:53 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you! (I think I have to ignore THAT code this time -- we'll pretend I did this a couple years ago :-) )

actually, it is an exposed garage attic anyway; 99.9% chance there will never be anything added, and if even someone after me wanted to, all the cables are generally exposed against the studs and rafters

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: