Two single pole switchs controlling a single bath fan?

Old 04-30-17, 09:33 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two single pole switchs controlling a single bath fan?

I'm trying to add a countdown timer to a bath fan that is controlled by two switchs. Initially I assumed it was a standard 3 way wiring configuration, however upon removing the exhibit get switchs, there are 2 single pole switchs attached. It works like a typical 3 way though. Turn one on = fan on, turn the other switch off and the fan turns off, And vice verse.

The exhibiting switchs are both connected to a Hot black line and a Red to the fan and ground. No traveler or neutral wires connected to the switch's.

Can I just connect two Maestro MA-T51H switchs to replace the single pole switches that I am removing? Will the countdown timers fight with each other?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-30-17, 10:43 AM
C
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
Are the existing switches just standard mechanical single pole switches? If so, there's no way they can work like 3 way's unless there are relays involved.

Wired as you describe, either switch should turn the fan on, but both switches would have to be off for the fan to be off.

Do you have neutrals in the switch boxes? If so the best solution would be to use Maestro multi-location timers as they are designed for your type of application.

Old 04-30-17, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
Here's directly from your installation instructions...

Name:  t51.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  34.7 KB

The MA-T51MN is a multi location timer when used with it's slave control but may not work with your wiring setup. You'd need to tell us what you have at each box. We know there is at least a three wire cable at both switches.

lutron/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/multi location timer.pdf

Old 04-30-17, 06:55 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
two single pole switches

the two original switches are definitely single pole. they have connections for two insulated wires plus a ground.
Carbide- you are correct- when one is on, the other is not able to turn it off (like a normal 3 way would work). Both have to be "off" for the fan to be off. Today I installed two single pole Maestro fan timers (MA-T51H). It works, BUT when one is turned on the indicator lights on the other one flashes quickly between the orange timer and the green "on" lights. I don't know if that is a problem or not???? The flashing makes me think that something is not right with the arrangement even though it works. I just installed them the same way the single pole switches were. Black, Red, and Ground.

there is also a collection of neutral white wires all connected together with a wire nut in each junction box.

Old 04-30-17, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
The flashing makes me think that something is not right with the arrangement even though it works.
Maybe that's why the manufacturer says not to use two timers to control the same load.

Old 04-30-17, 07:52 PM
C
Received 22 Votes on 19 Posts
I think you'd be better off returning your two timers if you can and using the T51MN version. The one you have may be sort of working, but perhaps not for long given you are using them in a way they are not designed to be used. Since you have neutral available, using the multi-location version would be straightforward.

Old 04-30-17, 08:52 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Spring-wound timers are a viable alternative. They don't look as sexy but they would not require any rewiring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: