Replacing Electrical Dimmer Switch

Old 05-08-17, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Electrical Dimmer Switch

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I am attempting to replace a dimmer switch in my home and am having a little trouble as I have little electrical experience. We recently had a tree fall on our property due to a storm and it took out all the power lines. Power has since been restored, however I have multiple lights that aren't functioning properly. There are two dimmer switches that no longer work and I am attempting to replace them.

The dimmer switch I am looking to replace does not work as the light stays on full brightness at all times. This switch controls a light/ceiling fan combo. I purchased a single pole dimmer to replace this - is this the correct switch?

The switch that is currently connected has a ground wire that is not connected to anything. My home was built in the 1940's so I am not sure if this is normal or not? If so, should I just put a wire cap over this? There is also an adjacent light switch in the same wall box that has black wires connected to the dimmer switch - is this some sort of transfer connection or is this wired improperly?
The wall box is made of metal, not plastic which threw me off based on my research.

Thanks everyone in advance for their help and let me know what further information I can provide!

Taylor

Existing dimmer switch and box:
Name:  Outlet1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  Outlet2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  41.7 KB

New Dimmer Switch:
Name:  NewDimmerSwitch.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  26.2 KB

Last edited by TJRussell24; 05-08-17 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-17, 04:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A single pole switch will keep the lights on all the time at full brightness. Did you mean to say a single pole dimmer? Do you have a link to it so we can see it, too? The grounding wire should be connected to the metal switch box via a green grounding screw in the back of the box. Whether or not you have an effective ground or not is not known due to its age.

The black wire from the other switch does, in fact, provide power to the dimmer switch. You an also post a picture of the inside of the switch box showing the wiring, and we can better determine right from wrong. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-08-17, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
This switch controls a light/ceiling fan combo. I purchased a single pole dimmer to replace this - is this the correct switch?
You purchased a single pole dimmer to control a fan and light ? No.... that is not right .
If you purchased a single pole dimmer to replace a single pole dimmer... then you are correct.

Old 05-08-17, 05:17 PM
My apologies - I did not mean single pole switch, I meant to say single pole dimmer. I edited this in my original post as well as added pictures of the currently attached dimmer as well as a picture of the newly purchased dimmer.

Old 05-08-17, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
So you're just replacing one dimmer with another. That should be straightforward.

You may have BX (metal clad) cable there which means the box may be grounded.
Cap the green wire off and install like the other one was as there won't be an easy way to attach to the box.

Tread lightly as that old cloth covered wire crumbles easily.

Old 05-08-17, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Unless that switch is rated for fan use, and I don't think it is, it will burn up the motor in your fan.
My eyes are old. What is that?

Name:  Outlet1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  46.7 KB

Old 05-08-17, 05:29 PM
Okay will do. I figured it was pretty straightforward, however that green wire just hanging there didn't make sense to me. Thanks!

Old 05-08-17, 05:32 PM
Chandler - I'm not sure what that is. I was thinking that may have been a ground wire as it's just sticking out there, but it is covered in what seems to be electrical tape.

Old 05-08-17, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
If that is BX... there is not likely to be a ground wire... especially one that is insulated.