Washer/Dryer water near electrical

Old 05-10-17, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer/Dryer water near electrical

I am installing a new W/D in a small laundry room. The washer supply lines, drain, and 120 electrical outlet are on the right, while the dryer vent and 240 electrical outlet are on the left.

I want to position the washer on the left and the dryer on the right. This will put the 240v electrical closer to water sources than putting the washer on right, dryer on left.

The washer electric outlet is not GFCI. There is no washtub. The washer drains into a standpipe in the laundry box, as does a condensate line from an electric furnace.

Two questions:

1) Does code address any of this? I can't find anything.

2) Even if there is no code problem, is this potentially more dangerous?

Images show approximate locations. W/D could end up further left or right depending on size and available space.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-17, 01:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It is safe and code compliant

Old 05-10-17, 02:12 PM
@Ray. Hmm. That's short and definitive, but not interesting :-) I guess I'm wondering what could happen if a supply line blows up and water is going all over the place. Is there a plausible scenario in which I could be electrocuted?

Old 05-10-17, 02:30 PM
Pure water does not conduct electricity. If there are impurities in the water capable of ionization it might to some extent depending on the concentration. You'd probably have a better chance of winning the lottery.

Old 05-10-17, 02:48 PM
What's the point of GFCIs then? Most people don't have distilled water coming out of the taps.

Old 05-10-17, 03:56 PM
GFCIs aren't about water. They are about current leaks from components of fixtures or equipment to the metal shell or chassis that are great enough to harm or kill but not great enough to immediately trip the breaker.

Old 05-10-17, 04:03 PM
AFAIK, you are completely mistaken about GFCIs and water. I hope you are not an electrician.

Well, not completely. They are about leaks from appliances, but they are required on outlets near water (sinks) because the sink/water offers a good path to ground.

Old 05-10-17, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
As a washer, dryer repairman in all the years I have done this I have never had a problem like you think will happen. Have seen things like Ray said.

Old 05-10-17, 06:03 PM
Actually it is the sink pipes and fill hose connections if metal that provide a good path to ground. Should you have a current leakage to the metal case and touch the metal case while touching a pipe then yes you could get a shock or even heart failure. That is why there are GFCIs.

Old 05-10-17, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
As Ray said, it is not that GFCi's are required near water, but they are required near items that are likely grounded, but not electrical, such as metallic sinks, plumbing fixtures, damp concrete, or the earth.

Old 05-10-17, 07:59 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
Although there is nothing wrong with installing outlets behind washer/dryer, please make you or installer's life easier by installing them above. Especially if you are using front load washer (they are very heavy!).

It may be just my opinion, but having outlets above washer and dryer doesn't look that bad. You have laundry box above washer/dryer already, adding 2 more outlets won't hurt.

Is there a plausible scenario in which I could be electrocuted?
Yes. But, in my opinion that possibility is about the same within the reach of the cord. Unless you touch to plug or outlet directly, chances of electrocution are fairly low.
Unlike in the movie, wet outlet/cord doesn't directly lead to electrocution. The electric current will follow the path of least resistance and when the entire outlet is plug is wet, path of the least resistance usually is between hot and neutral or ground. Of course, that is not the case all the time, but still lower chance.

Last edited by lambition; 05-10-17 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 08:27 PM
Pretty much every appliance installation instructions give guidelines on receptacle location.
The guidelines are for convenience and to ensure the unit fits in the space as designed.

The instructions don't include a section titled "what to do in a catastrophic event".

If a washing machine line bursts, you will have serious flooding and the location of the receptacle will be the least of your concerns. Hope this helps ease your concerns.

Old 05-10-17, 10:44 PM
I guess I'm wondering what could happen if a supply line blows up and water is going all over the place.
Use braided stainless steel water hoses and you won't have to worry about that.

Old 05-10-17, 11:02 PM
Or remove the receptacle and use a gasoline powered washing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO38GMQZ68U