Light Fixture Wiring

Old 04-30-01, 12:52 PM
Visiting Guest
I have attempted to replace an old ceiling fan with a track lighting fixture. In the wiring box there are three wires: white(multiple), black(multiple), and red.

The new light has been installed using the white and black wires, I capped the red one. Now the light switch does not control the power - the light stays on permanently. How do I correct this?

Old 04-30-01, 02:13 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Look at the switch that should be controlling this, and see if there is a red wire actually connected to the switch. I am assuming that it is a single switch from 1 location on the wall controlling this fixture. If this is true and a red wire is connected to the switch then the switch wire at the ceiling would be red.

Another thing have you rewired anything at the ceiling or switch location.

If there is 2 wire cables entering the switch box and if there is a red wire connected to the switch and there is no 2nd switch controlling the same fixture then connect your lighting to the red and white wires. At the ceiling all blacks together , all whites together and conencted to white of light. Red wire connected to black from light.

If only 1 wire cable entering the switch box then repost BEFORE proceeding. This is very inportant if there is only 1 wire cable entering the switch box, please repost as this senerio could create a dead short and further info may be needed, to clarify how it is wired.

Old 04-30-01, 02:15 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Connect the black from the fixture to the red in the box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: