Help with a switch loop, please..

Old 05-19-17, 08:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with a switch loop, please..

I'm installing (installed) 2 recessed lights in my dining room area. It's just me (no husband to shift the blame to ), but even in my limited experience, common sense should have told me this was going to happen.

There was a big ugly light fixture in the middle of my dining room that I decided to replace with an IC remodel recessed light. There was a power source coming into the fixture and two going out (one to the switch, and one to the foyer light, and ending at the front porch light. The foyer and porch light were controlled by two switch's at the front door, the big ugly dining room light was controlled by a switch at the back patio door. There is also a switch next it that controls the patio light, but that light has not been affected by any of this)

I decided that what the dining room needed was TWO recessed lights, so I put one where the light had been and then about 3 feet away, I placed the second one (between the first recessed light and the foyer light.

When I flipped the breaker back on, both of the recessed lights were on, but only the first one turned off when I turned the switch off. (In the first recessed light, I had all 4 whites together (push nut), and all of the blacks except for the red wire coming from the switch and the black wire to the light. These I had together.

I left all of the whites together, but then placed the black from the power coming in, to the black on the switch... the red on the switch to the black on both the light and the black going to light #2... flipped the breaker and both recessed light 1 and 2 turned on and off with the switch!

There's just one problem (and I know most of you are already aware of what that is)... tonight, when I turned out the lights in the dining room at their light switch, it turned my foyer and patio light off too.

So now I realize that connecting the black from the power coming in to the first recessed light, to the black going to the switch... does that. It cuts the power off to everything else on that circuit (? forgive me for not using the correct terminology, but I can draw a diagram if that helps?)

So my question is, how do I correct this?
Thank you for any help!

click for larger view...

Last edited by PJmax; 05-19-17 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added hosted image
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-17, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Couldn't see your diagram so I enlarged it and remotely hosted it.

You have a square box shown that is the first can. To the left you are showing that fixtures wiring. The second can must connect the same way that the first can connects.

You have the second can shown as connected between the first can and the foyer. You can't cut into the foyer line. That needs to be left as hot.

Name:  FullSizeRender - Copy.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  22.0 KB

Old 05-19-17, 10:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok, I think I see what you're saying. I actually need to move the power coming in, and the switch to the light I had between the 1st recess and the foyer light and then connect the wiring as you've drawn here?

Old 05-20-17, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
You're showing a 3w cable down to the switch.... I assumed just one switch there.
White would be neutral and capped off.

The power passes thru the first can to the foyer light and beyond.
Power goes down to the switch on black and comes back switched on red.