Double fire block in wall of old house?

Old 05-20-17, 11:01 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Double fire block in wall of old house?

I have a 1920 built house I am working on right now at this very moment. I have to get a new electric line from the basement to the second floor . I fish a stiff wire from the basement and can hear it hit behind the wall near the baseboard of the second floor . So I figure I have a channel from the basement baseboard of the second floor! I take the second flr baseboard off and find there's a fire block at the flr level. No problem, I drill a hole through the fire block. But when I fish a wire down through that hole it seems to hit another fire block about one foot below the flr. I make several holes through the first fire block but when a fish a wire down a foot down it stops. Could there be a second fire block about a foot down from the first fire block? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Dave Varga

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-17, 11:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Are you drilling down in the same stud bay that you hear the noise at? If you are hearing the noise at baseboard level, then stopping a foot away would not make the same sound. Is your house balloon framed?

Old 05-20-17, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 594 Votes on 559 Posts
At the floor level it sounds like you're hitting the plate that the wall is built on.

Old 05-20-17, 11:47 AM
D
Ok, the second plate which is approx a foot down from flr level is at the bottom of the joists for this second flr. It is not ballon construction as I can see the bottom of the studs being nailed I think you call it toed in. So when I originally heard the wire pushed up from down below I mistakenly thought the sound from a foot down was at the flr level. So now I figure I need a very long drillbit to peers that floorplate a foot down . Any comments would be welcome . I think I opened a can of do it yourself whoopas.

Old 05-20-17, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Is this near a corner of the house? Many had diagonal braces let into the studs.

Old 05-20-17, 04:24 PM
D
Thx!

Got it through, got a 12" bit extender and drilled a hole in the I guess flr plate 12" down, then fished a wire down, thx for all your input!

Old 05-22-17, 05:06 AM
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
Don't forget to refirestop the holes.
Geo