Help With Dimmer Switch

Old 05-25-17, 09:53 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help With Dimmer Switch

Good morning, I've gotten myself into a minor pickle. I usually take photos of stuff before I tear into it but I forgot this time and it proved to be to my detriment.

I'm in San Antonio Texas.

I am attempting to replace 2 single electrical boxes with one double and add in a dimmer switch to one of the 2 lights. I've taken it all apart. Patched up where one of the old single boxes was. Moved the wires over to a double that I installed into the cut drywall. But...now I'm stuck.

I want to install a single pole switch to one light in the same room and a single pole switch with a dimmer in the same room to a second/different light.

I'm using a Leviton Decora 600-Watt Single-Pole/3-Way Universal Rocker Slide Dimmer as the dimmer and the Leviton Decora 15 Amp Single-Pole AC Rocker Switch.

Here's some pics of my mess and a diagram of how it's wired now(I'm pretty sure). Nothing is connected or working properly right now; was just trying to illustrate it so it made sense. I just need to know what to connect and where...Thanks in advance.

Name:  IMG_0776.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0777.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0778.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  Artboard 1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  16.9 KB

Old 05-25-17, 10:53 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
  • Connect two pigtails to black of power in cable.
  • Connect one pigtail to standard switch*.
  • Connect other pigtail to black terminal of the dimmer
  • Connect black of cable to light 1 to the other side of the standard switch*.
  • Connect black of cable to light 2 to the top red terminal of dimmer.
  • Connect all whites together.
  • Connect grounds per code.

*"Standard switch" = non dimmer switch.

Name:  Box.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  25.0 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 05-25-17 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 10:56 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
To add to what Ray said...you will not use the lower red terminal on the dimmer; it's for 3 way applications. So the black from light two will go to the upper red terminal on the dimmer.

Old 05-25-17, 11:05 AM
Thanks, Paul. I have modified my post.

Old 05-25-17, 07:33 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very good gentlemen thank you so much. I was able to get this back together in about 10 minutes this evening. You both saved me a huge headache(not much of an electrician). Thank you so much.

One minor problem though...

The left non-dimmer switch controls the power to both lights(the one on the dimmer and the one that isn't). I cannot get the dimmered light to power on all by itself. Any advice on troubleshooting it? Thanks again in advance.

Old 05-25-17, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,323 Votes on 1,223 Posts
Did you take and split the incoming hot line with two tails ?
Each switch needs its own connection to hot. You can't jump from one to the other.

Old 05-26-17, 07:33 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That's what would happen if you accidently exchanged the power in and light one connections that Ray showed in the drawing....

Do you have a meter that you can use to verify which wire is the always-hot feed?

Old 05-26-17, 11:44 AM
Note: A non contact tester can not be used to determine which cable is power in. If no accurate tester you can join cable A to cable B. If neither light lights then A and B are power out to the lights. If only one of the lights then either A or B is power in. To determine which connect A to C if neither lights then A and C are to the lights and B is power. If only C lights A is power.

A, B, C are arbitrary designations and do not apply to specific cables. Just label each cable at random before you start.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: