Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How can I power my 24v Spal fan - Used normally in vehicles

Old 05-30-17, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all

I would like to run a Spal fan from a UK socket.

Most of these fans however are used in automotive vehicles, so there is not much info online.

What powersupply do I need to run the fan at a set speed?

Im guessing 24v / 6A will work, but thats 150Watts - I dont need it running full speed.

Could I buy a 24v powersupply with only 3A? Im wondering if the fan would run at around half the speed, which is just fine.

If I wanted to change the speed of the fan, I guess I would have to change the voltage or amperage?

Spal confirmed the fan does have the capability to be run safely at a lower speed.

Edit - How pathetic - a forum with over 1.2M Likes has to be cheap and lower the resolution of an image 420kb in size, to something so low in size its unreadable.

Name:  sds.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  35.6 KB

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-17, 05:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Where are you located? Fill out your profile. A regulated power supply should work just fine. As far as regulating the speed, it would be up to the fan's design to do that.

Thanks for the pathetic comment regarding the size of picture reproduction. If the picture you posted were run at 100%, it would cover a football field, and be unusable on the forums, since it is continuous and in portrait format. We do our best. You can also add a link to the fan if you wish, which would allow us to view the spec sheet in full view on a roll.

Old 05-30-17, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
The fan will draw whatever current it needs to operate at it's designed speed. It is not limited by the power supply. So, a 6 amp fan will still try to pull 6 amps from your 3 amp power supply eventually burning out the power supply. I would just search a little harder to find an AC fan you can use without a power supply.

Old 05-30-17, 07:31 AM
I am located in the UK.

I would of linked to the spal catalogue, the problem is they have around 200 fans, and the PDF is HUGE in size.

The link to it is here(page 192) - http://www.spalautomotive.com/public..._catalogue.pdf

Or a link to a clearer image of just that fans specs - http://i.imgur.com/lGjMQw3.png

Old 05-30-17, 07:34 AM
Hi Pilot.

Thats a shame, as Ive already made the purchase...

Spal is also a quality fan producer, and as its something I can rely on, I would like to find a way to use it.

When I phoned spal they told me that its common for vehicles to regulate the speed, if what you said is true, then how to vehicles lower the fan speed? I assume its by the current?

Old 05-30-17, 08:18 AM
Perhaps I could use something like either of the following?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201583194432

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172655604914

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172681924964

And just cut the end connector off matching up the wires to the fan or use only one of the connector slots?

Last edited by TrevorMcdonald; 05-30-17 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-30-17, 09:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The fan is 12 volts to 24 volts. Automobiles are 12 volts so it would run from a computer power supply. The speed of most DC motors is dependent on voltage so if that is true for this motor in the crudest way a potentiometer could control the speed but a variable DC voltage regulator would be a better solution.

Old 05-30-17, 10:53 AM
Hi ray2047

I brought one of these PWM controllers - PWM DC Motor Speed Control Switch Controller Volt Regulator Dimmer 12V~40V 10A | eBay

Is that the same as the variable DC regulator you spoke of?

Is the fan not 24v? I cannot see on the image where it says 12-24v.

If I was to run it on a 12v computer supply, would I then need to double amperage as you cut the voltage in half? or Would it be safe to run 12v at 7amp? I thought the fan might try to draw out 14amps and blow the undersupplied PSU

Old 05-30-17, 11:00 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
That controller should work. I'll let the experts answer your other questions.

Old 05-30-17, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
A PWM variable controller will work fine. It won't be very effective with a 12v supply.
I'm not sure where the 12-24v came from. That looks like a 24v motor. It may need 24v to start and then can be slowed down with lower voltage.

Can't answer the 12v power supply question. It won't be logarithmic meaning [email protected] or [email protected] It would probably use [email protected]

You never mentioned what you're doing with that fan but it will be loud. That fan is specifically designed to draw air thru a vehicle radiator. In free air it may not be pleasant to listen to.