DC LED Counter Issues

Old 06-03-17, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DC LED Counter Issues

Hi Guys, firstly let me say that this is my first post in this forum. Secondly, I am by no means an electrician which is why I have come here for some assistance.

So now let me explain what my issue is. I am in the process of manufacturing a DIY electronic counter. This counter comes with a magnetic sensor (every time the magnet passes the sensor the figure on the LED display will increase). This display will be powered by a single 9v rectangular battery. What I would like to do is add a manual increase button, manual decrease button and obviously an on/off switch.

This is where I have hit a brick wall… where do I connect all these bloody wires. I understand how simple it would’ve been if I didn’t add the manually increase/decrease buttons but since trying to incorporate that feature it has really thrown me.

Is someone able to sketch up a diagram that I could follow in order to get this thing to work?

Front of display & control panel:
Name:  DSC_0721 Labeled.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  47.3 KB

Back of control panel (don't judge... this is as far as I got before I gave up ):
Name:  DSC_0722.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  51.7 KB

Magnetic Sensor:
Name:  DSC_0723.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  50.2 KB

Instructions send with LED display:
Name:  Instructions.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  Instructions.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  19.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-04-17 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added larger diagram pic
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-17, 08:56 PM
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
other than hooking up the positive wire to the up and down switches looks like your about done would probably jumper it from the red wire on the on and off switch to both the up and down.
I assume the magnetic switch will be the same one wire to the blue wire on the up switch and the other to positive.

Old 06-04-17, 06:47 AM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
The diagram does not show magnetic sensor and appears showing increase and decrease button (IN- and IN+), which you are trying to add.
I don't see any information about the magnetic sensor you have, but if this is simple reed switch type, then you can just treat it as a switch.

Just solder + side of the power supply (red wire on the switch) to remaining terminal of the 2 switches.
Also connect this to one of the wire from the magnetic switch. (does not matter which)
Then, connect remaining wire from magnetic switch to blue wire on the switch. (or green if you want to count down instead).
Easiest way to connect magnetic switch would be just soldering straight to the switch terminals.

Old 06-04-17, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes the magnetic switch is a simple 2 wire connection ( + and -)

Old 06-04-17, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Ok.... good. So do you understand the wiring now ?