Bathroom fan and light switch re-wiring

Old 06-04-17, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom fan and light switch re-wiring

I am re-wiring my bathroom switches as part of an overall renovation. The existing switches are "self-contained" switches, one that powers the light and one that powers the fan. I'm going to change them out into a box with standard switches. I think I have it figured out, but would like to be sure how they should be wired (I can't decipher the self-contained switches). In the attached image, the "source" is actually coming from the adjacent bedroom light switch. Is the diagram shown the correct way to wire this situation?

Thanks!

Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  21.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-17, 01:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What is a "self contained switch"? Next diagram ignore the grounds and use gray for neutral. Red makes it look like you are using three conductor cables. But yes your diagram is okay.

Note if fan and light is combined better practice would have been a single 3-conductor cable. If it is a combined fan and light when using two 2-conductor cables be sure to connect both neutrals to the neutral at the fan/light.

Old 06-06-17, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the diagram tips (I figured the colors would be confusing ). The fan and light are separate in this case but I will have the other condition in the master bathroom.

The self contained switches are these:
Name:  IMG_0006.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  65.1 KB

Thanks for the help!