Splicing together two 220 dryer wires?

Old 06-04-17, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splicing together two 220 dryer wires?

I admit I am a complete electric retard...scares me and I avoid it other than flipping a light switch...

But I have a home project here where an old clothes dryer was in the basement, now the new laundry room is on the second floor.

We have a new dryer moved into the second floor laundry room and want to run the existing 220 wire the old dryer was using from the basement to the new room...

The 220 cord we got to make the extension has some different colors than the existing one so I'm not sure what to do...I googled around a bit and see that black is the main hot wire with red being the secondary...white and green being the neutral and grounds?

I'll attach a pic here of what I'm working with..old wire has black which I matched up to black...and white to white...but I have red wire and a bare copper wire on the existing wire but no copper wire on the new wire and a green vs red wire?

Thanks for any help
Name:  IMG_20170604_182042484.jpg
Views: 8027
Size:  34.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-17, 04:48 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The 220 cord we got to make the extension has some different colors
It is a 120/240 feed. You can not extend it with "cord" if that is what you are using. Please tell us more about the "cord". What is written on the jacket?

I do not see a junction box in your picture. The connection must be made in a junction box that remains accessible.

Does the existing dryer cable have four wires, (usually) black, red, white, bare? If only three wires it can not be extended.

an old clothes dryer was in the basement, now the new laundry room is on the second floor.
Given the distance to the new location it is probably best to abandon the existing dryer receptacle and run 10-3 NM-b (AKA Romex) from your breaker panel to the new location.

I admit I am a complete electric [noob]...scares me
And it it scares me to see a red wire connected to a green in your picture. That can literally blow up as in boom, bright light and if the breaker fails fire. Suggest you hire an electrician for this, it is not a beginner's job, and read a book such as "Wiring Simplified" cover to cover before doing anymore work. However if this is your home and you want to continue we can walk you through it.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-04-17 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You can't do what it appears you are trying to do. Wirenutting connections outside a junction box? And you are trying to basically extend the power cord and directly connect it to the supply? Or cutting the power cord and splicing in an extension and plugging in to the old receptacle in the basement?

No, No, No, and No. You will need to run a length of the proper type cable (I don't know which exactly, but it's not power cord) up to a receptacle on the second floor. Then use a proper power cord for the dryer plugged in to the receptacle.

The Pro's will be around later, but stop what you are doing now as it is unsafe and illegal. Also, is this your place or a rental?

Old 06-04-17, 07:55 PM
Appreciate the responses...when I got to the green connecting to the red I knew I was screwing up badly and that's when I found this place to post my questions...

The 'extender cord' I am using was stripped off of a commercial pizza oven wired for 220

I have a plastic junction box to put everything in, maybe it's the wrong thing, I'll take a pic tomorrow....I was just getting things lined up outside of it for reference first

The home is owned not rented.

I cut the old plug off the cord in the basement, was planning on splicing it in upstairs to plug the new dryer into...and then going to splice the old cord and extension together to complete it...if that is crazy nonsense ok I'll buy/do something else...

Thanks all

Old 06-04-17, 08:10 PM
The 'extender cord' I am using was stripped off of a commercial pizza oven wired for 220
No, a code violation. And in any event a 240/208 (not 220) cord would only have three wires. Just no way it can be used.
cut the old plug off the cord in the basement, was planning on splicing it in upstairs to plug the new dryer into...and then going to splice the old cord and extension together to complete it...if that is crazy nonsense ok
Sorry to say but it is wrong for a whole host of reasons.

As stated earlier you need to run a new circuit to the dryer from the breaker panel using 10-3 NM-b cable. You will also need a new four prong dryer cord. (If the old cord was three prong the dryer will need to be converted to four wire.)

Do you have an unfinished attic? Where is the new dryer location in relation to the breaker panel.

Edit: Just curious you said a cord off a pizza oven. The cord couldn't be more than six feet and even if it was longer how were you going to get it from the basement to the second floor? Maybe I misunderstood what you trying to do. Do you already have a receptacle on the second floor but it is too far from the dryer?

Last edited by ray2047; 06-05-17 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 06:02 PM
I guess that explains why one cord has 4 wires and the other only 3

OK I'll get some of that10-3-NM-b cable and run it fresh.

The dryer is relatively new I think, it's a 'fancier' one, at least to me...but I could be way behind the times....anyways, it's 3 prong coming off the dryer. I'll attach some pics

The breaker panel is in the corner basement while the new dryer is on the second floor about the middle of the house against the far wall. The holes are already drilled and ready so I'll just get that cord and get it sorted.

The pizza ovens were used at various fairs and carnivals I believe so they had extra long cords to be used at those types of venues.

PS I have a lot of experience on various forums and usually the reply function has an easy 'quote' function built in...I don't see that here, how are you guys getting the quoted reply? That helps keep things a lot more organized.

Thanks again

Name:  IMG_20170607_195412473_HDR.jpg
Views: 4863
Size:  25.7 KBName:  IMG_20170607_195412473_HDR.jpg
Views: 4863
Size:  25.7 KB
Name:  IMG_20170607_195400755_HDR.jpg
Views: 4676
Size:  19.5 KBName:  IMG_20170607_195426001.jpg
Views: 4636
Size:  22.3 KBName:  IMG_20170607_195432104.jpg
Views: 4571
Size:  19.8 KB
Name:  IMG_20170607_195353417_HDR.jpg
Views: 4718
Size:  26.6 KB

Old 06-07-17, 06:05 PM
I guess I need a 3 prong plug to put at the end of the romex cord to plug the dryer into, anything special I need there to connect the two? Would rather only make one (more!) trip to home depot or walmart.

Is this the correct stuff?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire...8426/202316240

Last edited by ray2047; 06-07-17 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Edited wrong post.
Old 06-07-17, 06:56 PM
I guess I need a 3 prong plug to put at the end of the romex cord
No. No. no. You can no longer use a three prong cord. Romeex is not cord it is cable. You can not use a cord cap on cable.

Is this the correct stuff?
Yes but it must be run in the wall and it must be hard wired.

Please reread post #5. You can NOT use an extension cord. The drier must be converted to four prong.

Old 06-11-17, 09:19 AM
oh ok, re read #5...is there an existing newbie friendly thread or outside article or video you can refer me to to convert the existing 3 prong dryer cord to a 4 prong?

im not looking to use any sort of extension...i was going to get the romex cable with enough length to hard wire it into the box and run it all the way to the upstairs laundry room once i know what i need to convert 3/4 prong and what to get to put the romex into

thanks

Old 06-11-17, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
If a 3 wire cable at box it can not be used will have to wire from circuit breaker box with a proper 10-3 NM-b cable

Old 06-11-17, 10:21 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
Not sure if the OP understands that 10-3 NM (Romex) is actually 4 wires? The ground is not counted in the numbering on cable. The numbering of cord does count the ground, so 10-3 cord is just three wires.

Old 06-11-17, 10:38 AM
Good point. Thanks for adding.