Random Outlets on a circuit

Old 05-01-01, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My house is older (1957) and has some grounded outlets and some non-grounded outlets. I ran a new cable to the living room for the entertainment center, this is the only outlet on this circuit. I hate to waste an entire circuit just for the TV and stereo. So my question is: Is it a bad idea to extend this circuit into other rooms? I want to extend it to the computer room and maybe one other outlet. This will be the easiest way to add grounded outlets, but I'm concerned with the random placing of the circuit. Someone down the road may think a room's outlets are off when in fact there is one on.
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-01, 09:01 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Color code the plates, and leave a clear note at the
circuit panel explaining the situation.

(EG The plates painted blue on the inside are on the same
circuit).

Old 05-01-01, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Handy:

I'm not so sure this outlet is being wasted. This is an "isolated" source of power. Home entertainment components require as clean a source of power as they can get. Introducing other devices (dimmers, flourescents) into this circuit can corrupt this power causing hums and other noise in your components. I would leave it alone.

Old 05-01-01, 06:01 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I agree with abnormal, good to keep the entertainment center power clean, just like a computer circuit.

However there is no Code rule forbidding running one general lighting type circiut into other rooms. All receptacles that are not used as dedicated circuits and not bathroom, laundry, kitchen, dining, or nook receptacle circuit are considered as general lighting and can hop scotch anywhere inside the dwelling from room to room, as a multioutlet type general lighting circuit. No identification is required other than general lighting named and printed on the panel board circuit identification assigned for that breaker's labled circuit slot.

Good Luck

Wg