Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Re-use of kitchen split for 2 single outlets (fridge and dishwasher) (Ontario)

Old 06-06-17, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Hi all,

Looking at some kitchen reno's, and one scenario is to move the fridge and also install a built-in dishwasher.

There is no outlet in the new fridge location nor any in the dishwasher location.
The wires come from attic (and Im not going up there), but I do have full access to the under-floor (drop ceiling below). The main panel is 60ft away on the far wall of an attached garage (pain to run new wires).

I would rather not extend the existing refrigerator outlet as it's actually shared with a coupla other outlets (musta been code back then ?). I DO however have a pretty much unused kitchen split orphaned out on a wall. This is fed with 14/3 and a double-pole 15a breaker.

I would like to lid this box (leaving it accessible) and run 2 separate 14/2 from it down under the floor space and back up to where needed.. one to a new fridge outlet (16ft run) and the other to a new dishwasher outlet (8ft run).

Captain Electron says that the neutral is fine back to the panel as it is only carrying any difference in current between the 2 devices. Is it otherwise okay code-wise ? I suspect that the breakers will need to continue to be joined to prevent any hazard in the original split-box location ? I would use the receptacle method for powering the dishwasher so that service can be done w/o loss of power to the fridge.

Thanks for any advice, and keep in mind that this is in Ontario.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-17, 07:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
In the U.S. it would be okay. You would need GFCI receptacles after the split. Since it is only 15 amp in the U.S. it would have to be in addition to the required two 20 amp kitchen receptacle circuits. Two single pole breakers handle tied or a two pole breaker is required in the U.S. Canada may vary.