No current after pigtailed light was removed

Old 06-07-17, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No current after pigtailed light was removed

I removed a light that was pigtailed in after I did that I don't have any current running through the wires in the ceiling (its on the end of a cuircuit or atleast I think it is). The electical is so old that it I cloth covered and soldered together on the ends. When removing the pigtail could of I damaged a wire and shorted it? I've checked the wires and I can see anything wrong. And I do have the breaker on and I can't get a reading on my mutimeter. Help please!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-17, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Take a picture of wires so we can see what you are seeing.

Old 06-07-17, 02:04 PM
Name:  20170607_135448.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  49.2 KB

Lovely old wireing...

Last edited by ray2047; 06-07-17 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Crop, enlarge, adjust contrast and gamma,
Old 06-07-17, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't tell if there are cables or single wires, Not enough light in box. Maybe some of the pro's will be in soon and can see better.

Old 06-07-17, 05:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I improved your picture. Please tell us the wiring at the switch.

Old 06-07-17, 10:07 PM
Thank you Ray for fixing my picture. In the box in the ceiling there are 4 wires coming /going. At the light switch in the next room over, the "hot wire" from the light dead ends (at the end of the circuit). Actually the person who wired it did it wrong, they ran the "hot wire" to the next room over (The entryway), into the neighboring light switch box (using the light switch box as a junction box, this is being fixed), where it connectes to the light switch wires of, the light that is not working aka the bedroom, which runs back to the actual light switch of the bedroom. Athough the wire runs into the neighboring room's light switch, it only powers the bedroom, nothing in the entryway. In the entryway they ran the power froma nearby outlet.

On another note I noticed that one of the wire nuts, that i removed from the bedroom, is mishaped/melted. What does this indicate? A poor conection?

Old 06-07-17, 10:27 PM
I am confused does power come in at the light or the switch? Explain more fully what you mean by "light that was pigtailed". Is this what you meant:

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  9.6 KB

Or is this what you meant:

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  10.0 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 06-07-17 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 07:41 AM
The first picture is what I ment by pigtail. I hope I'm calling it by the right name.

Old 06-08-17, 07:46 AM
That is how lights are connected if power comes in at the switch and there is a second light powered from the first light. So first you must establish you have power at the switch unless these lamp holders have built in pull chain switches.

Name:  16502.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  27.2 KB

If it is the type of lamp holder above then power does come in at the lamp holder.

Old 06-08-17, 07:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't tell color of wires or if there is a ground in box. If there is a ground in box you should get 120 from hot to box. If no ground than across the 2 wires coming out from the same cable. Even cleaned up can't tell much in box. 2wires sticking up is part of pigtail but should have a 6 inch extra wire on it. Also can't see other connection.

Old 06-08-17, 09:42 AM
There are no grounds. It is the old cloth covered wire that only has 2 wires running through it.

So I should tape their mess and check the connections... I probably loosened a connection when I removed the wire nut? I'll post pictures as I dig into it. Thank you for your help thus far!

Old 06-08-17, 10:51 AM
That is how lights are connected if power comes in at the switch and there is a second light powered from the first light. So first you must establish you have power at the switch unless these lamp holders have built in pull chain switches.

If it is the type of lamp holder above then power does come in at the lamp holder.
I wish I knew exactly without tearing the whole ceiling out. I'm guessing that they ran the wire from the previous light fixture to the bedroom then from the bedroom to the entryway light switch (using it a a junction) then back to the bedroom light switch and up tp the light. Here's a diagram of all that is on this circuit.
Name:  power route.png
Views: 108
Size:  9.3 KB

Old 06-08-17, 01:02 PM
How they ran the wire is not important. It is what is on both ends. If it was a light fixture without a switch and wired the way you say then there would be four wires at the switch, two of which would show ~ 120 volts. You need to check the wires at the switch.

If I was hired to fix this given the condition of the wires if I couldn't determine what was wrong I would consider wiring from scratch and not try to use what was there.