Need help wiring well.

Old 06-09-17, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help wiring well.

My disconnect box was attached to a 8x10 building that sits beside my well house. I am moving this building and I plan to also remove the small wood pump house that protects my well from the elements and replace it with one of those rock covers for aesthetic reasons.

I have a few questions:

I currently have a 30amp double pole at the main breaker with a 3 wire that powers my well. This is connected to a disconnect that is attached to the building that I plan to move. In my new setup I need to have a GFCI for a Rachio Irrigation controller as well as a heater.

1. I assume that I will need a breaker box inside the rock enclosure. How do I attach the breaker box inside the enclosure so that it is to code?

2. What size breaker box do I need. I assume 60amp. 30 for my pump and 20 for the GFCI recp.

3. What else?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-17, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
You have a 30A 240vac circuit only. In order for you to get 120/240v at your new location you need a four wire feed. Two hots, neutral and ground.

Old 06-10-17, 04:50 PM
I wrote my first post incorrectly. Yes, I do have 2 hots, neutral and a ground coming from the main breaker at my house. My goal is to connect my well and a gfci at my well. What do I need to do this?

The previous owner used a 30amp disconnect and wired in a gfci into the disconnect. I am not sure if this is the correct way to do this.

Old 06-10-17, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I have never seen a well that is protected by a GFCI, nor do I recall it being a requirement by the NEC.

The size of the feeder from the main panel, and the expected loads, will determine what size and how big your sub panel will need to be. Right now I expect your wire to be #10 which will only get you 30 amps. Are you planning to run a new feeder? How big of a heater are you planning to use? How are you going to fit all this under the fake rock?

Old 06-11-17, 05:42 AM
Agree, I am not trying to protect the well with a GFCI. Yes, I have #10 wire coming from my main breaker to my well. Of course, I can wire my well with this feeder wire, but I also need to tie in a receptacle to power my irrigation control unit and a heater bag to use in the winter.

I am not planning on running a new wire and all of this will fit under the rock that I have.

My plan is to ditch the disconnect and install a sub panel. What I am not sure about is what size sub panel I should I have. The sub panel is fed by a #10 wire.

I need 2 breakers. One to power the pressure switch and the other to power a receptacle. I will plug in my irrigation unit and a light.

Last edited by lambo; 06-11-17 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-11-17, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
The #10 wire will limit you to 30 amps max. How many watts is the "heater bag"? What size (watts/amps) is the well pump?

I think your plan is fine, my only concern is that the feeder that you have will not be enough to run everything you want to run. Especially when the pump motor kicks in as it can draw 3 times the normal running current.

For mounting the sub panel I would install two 2x4's or 4x4s into the ground and attach a piece of plywood (all pressure treated) and install all your "equipment" on that.