Moody electrical in the garage

Old 06-09-17, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moody electrical in the garage

Hi all! I have a bit of a mystery on my hands and I'm hoping someone can help.
I have an older house (1925) with a new detached garage built two years ago. Immediately after I bought the house the electricity went out in the garage. I called the man that flipped it and sold it to me and he sent one of his guys out. The guy worked on the junction box in the garage and voila it was working. Until a week later when I noticed it wasn't anymore.

I had a handyman out (wasn't an actual electrician) and he looked at it. Voila. Electricity. He told me that all he did was switch from one wire to the other. The one that WAS connected was dead and the other was live.
Annnnnnd again, a few days later no electricity again.

I left it like that all winter. A few days ago I had a friend look at it and he did the same thing the handyman did. The wire that was hooked up was dead and he switched it to the other because it was live. But that would mean that the one the handyman switched off before because it was dead was now LIVE. And the one he had hooked it up to was now dead.

I'm baffled.
The line runs underground to the house and looks like knob and tube at the house.
I have tried all the GFIs I can find. All were fine.
I also tried random light switches to no avail.
I have two breaker boxes (one old and one new). The one for the garage is run off the old and no breakers are popped on either one.
Did I mention I'm baffled??

Help please!!

Last edited by ray2047; 06-09-17 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Add paragraph breaks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-17, 09:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
He told me that all he did was switch from one wire to the other. The one that WAS connected was dead and the other was live.
Annnnnnd again, a few days later no electricity again.
A single wire can not provide electricity. Do you mean a cable, two or more wires in a metallic or nonmetallic sheath?

What is at the garage? Is it gray UF cable or something else? Pictures of the wiring at the garage please. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 06-10-17, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Might try hiring a licensed electrician. Someone older who has plenty of experience. I'll bet you will have the problem permanently resolved.

Old 06-10-17, 08:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
It almost seems like someone tied into a 3 way switch for power and the hot traveller is switching between legs.

Old 06-10-17, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
That would also be my guess.