Main Electric service entry point on new construction

Old 06-13-17, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main Electric service entry point on new construction

I am getting ready to sleeve for my main service entry. I always had the perfect spot for it to come in, but after a recent design change...I'm not so sure anymore.

It will be 2" conduit coming in, through the basement foundation wall. The new issue that has came up is that the front porch is now going to be "over" the conduit line coming in. This means instead of just sleeving the entry point on the basement foundation, I would also have to run a larger "sleeve" or pipe from the exterior point of the house along the depth of the porch so that there is a way for conduit/wire to run directly under/through the porch and into the basement. This sounds fairly feasible, but it means lining up the original sleeve with another sleeve on the footing of the porch and magically sliding a pipe through both sleeves after the porch footing has been poured.

Any other location on the one side of the porch means the wire running inside the basement to reach the panel goes through some bad locations. On the other side of the porch I have a tiny width I could plan on sleeving, but my meter will be on the other side of the house meaning at least 2 90 degree bends to get lined up. I was under the impression it's best to just go straight in?

Overall, I think the best question to this situation is: How many bends can you make with this heavy of wire running in 2" conduit? Going to be running 2/0 Service Entrance wire.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-17, 11:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Here the main panel is almost always outside under the meter right at the drop or lateral, simple and easy. Is there a reason you want to put the panel in the basement?

Old 06-14-17, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ray, that is clean and effective. I definitely want the panel in the basement (I am talking the 200Amp Main and then all the individual circuits) It will be really handy for future wiring and it's common for them to be located in the basements of new construction here. I ready online that two 90 bends and a 45 in the mid point is the maximum allowed bends in conduit.

Old 06-15-17, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Usually, running the service entry outside the house is allowed without a disconnect. So I don't see any real issue with what you have planned. You will probably want to use LBs where you can, it will make pulling the wire easier.

Of course, this is all subject to your local AHJ/inspector.

Old 06-17-17, 06:22 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Overall, I think the best question to this situation is: How many bends can you make with this heavy of wire running in 2" conduit? Going to be running 2/0 Service Entrance wire.
You cannot exceed 360 degrees with the bends between pull points. What you are planning seems to be a lot of extra work and expense for nothing. I'd just install a disconnect at the meter and enter the basement with SER cable under the disconnect at the meter socket location. As long as you have the disconnect, you can place the panel anywhere in the basement you want.