Dimmer Switch or Light Control Panel Options

Old 06-17-17, 06:08 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dimmer Switch or Light Control Panel Options

What kind of switches or light control panel should I buy to achieve the goals below? I am sure there are many expensive and sophisticated options. How can I achieve most of these goals with simpler and less expensive options. Nothing has been wired or installed yet.
  • I want to control 3 to 4 sets of kitchen lights from one location (1 chandelier, 2 other ceiling lights, 3 under cabinet lights, 4 sink light which I might just group with 2.)
  • I don't want a remote control or the ability to control lights from computer or smart phone, but if I must use a computer or remote to program light scene settings that's fine.
  • Under cabinet light will be LED, and the other lights will accept A19 bulbs, and I want to use LED A19 bulbs.
  • At least the chandelier and other ceilings lights should have a 3 way switch, but ideally I could at least turn all the lights on/off from the 2nd location even if all dimming was done at the other location.
  • Is it possible to set dimming levels for the individual lights sets, but then turn on/off and adjust overall dimming on the whole set at once?

If you know some good web pages that explain these options, that may be all I need.

Thank you in advance.

Old 06-17-17, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
I want to control 3 to 4 sets of kitchen lights from one location (1 chandelier, 2 other ceiling lights, 3 under cabinet lights, 4 sink light which I might just group with 2.)
Each group of lights you want to control will require their own switch/dimmer. You can slave these switches with a master switch to turn them all on and off at once

I don't want a remote control or the ability to control lights from computer or smart phone, but if I must use a computer or remote to program light scene settings that's fine.
You may want to check out X10 controls.

At least the chandelier and other ceilings lights should have a 3 way switch, but ideally I could at least turn all the lights on/off from the 2nd location even if all dimming was done at the other location.
3 way dimmers will function this way. You will be able to turn the lights on from both locations, but only dim at one.

Is it possible to set dimming levels for the individual lights sets, but then turn on/off and adjust overall dimming on the whole set at once?
In theory I can see this working, but I have never tried installing a dimmer to master other dimmers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: