14-3 wire necessary for this lighting circuit?

Old 06-18-17, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
14-3 wire necessary for this lighting circuit?

I'm trying to figure out the wiring on a new circuit for a garage I'm building. It's a 15A light circuit, where I'm planning on having three interior lights on one SPST switch, and two exterior lights with motion sensors attached to them. I want to wire the motion sensors to be on another SPST switch such that I can force the lights on if I want, which sounds like it is possible, but will I need another hot lead to do the wiring for the motion sensors? If so, how do I wire the 14-3 at the circuit breaker? Do both red and black get screwed into the breaker? What do I do with the extra hot lead on the lights that are on the SPST switch? Should I just tie it together with wire nuts and keep it off of the switch and the outlets altogether?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-17, 12:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do both red and black get screwed into the breaker?
No. First you run power from a breaker to the switch box using xx-2 cable. However first we need to know if the garage is attached or detached and if it will have a subpanel.

Old 06-18-17, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is detached, and it's actually going to have a dedicated service run, i.e., meter, to it. So yes, it will have its own panel.

Old 06-18-17, 01:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, you could run 14-3 wire from the switch box. Just run power to the switch box, pigtail power in black to both switches, then red of power out to one swith and black of power out to the other switch.