Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Damaged 120v wire in the attic - what are the options, what would you do?

Old 06-21-17, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I was in the attic installing a data cable. I was drilling a hole in the wood between the walls and the drill got caught on a nail? and spun around, nicking an electrical wire. There was a spark and the circuit breaker blew.

I can reset the breaker and it stays on - the conductors aren't touching at this point. I guess the bit cut through the outer insulation then the insulation on the inner conductor(s) - at least the hot and then the bit shorted it to the ground or neutral through the insulation.

So again, the breaker stays on now. What are the options to deal with this?

There's not much slack in the cable.

I'm thinking 2 options would include:

1) cut back the jacket and insulate the inner conductors with electrical tape?

2) And this would be really hard: Cut back the cable in the attic, put in a junction box, then run a new line down to the receptical? It's an old work box. Do you cut it out and replace with new work box so you can get behind it to route the new cable into the box?

Other thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-17, 08:27 AM
You can also cut the cable, put in two junction boxes about a foot apart. Add a short length of new wire. Then splice together in the two boxes.

If the copper wire was nicked, it is now a smaller size conductor at that point and a fire hazard.

Old 06-21-17, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Just cut the line and put 2 junctions boxes in. Splice a short piece of wire in. Put a cover over each box.

Old 06-21-17, 08:47 AM
DAMN! Forgot to include the picture.

The nick is just above where the cable comes into the attic. Yeah, if the damage was in the attic more, then yeah, 2 boxes would work. But this is too close to the stud for a 2nd box.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  51.5 KB

Old 06-21-17, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yeah, you need to replace that length of cable -- it's too much damage to repair in place. Put in a new junction box in the attic and fish a new length of cable down the wall. Make sure to get the same gauge cable as you have now.

Old 06-21-17, 09:51 AM
But at the existing old work receptacle in the room... how do you deal with getting the new cable into it? Cut out the old box and use a new work box? I've never understood how you can add wires to an existing box without cutting sheetrock next to the old box to feed the wire into it.

Old 06-21-17, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
The easiest way to get the wire down the wall is to cut out the existing box. Use a sawzall to cut the nails holding the box in. Fish the new cable, and insert an old-work box. Easy peasy!

Old 06-21-17, 01:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If the existing box is old work, you can just loosen up the mounting screws and pull the entire box out of the wall. This gives you a nice hand hole to reach in and fish the new cable. The box should go right back in the way it came out.

If the thing is really jammed in there, just cut the thing out or drill out the mounting screws and pull it out. Replace the box with one of similar size and you won't have to do any drywall repair.

Old 06-21-17, 02:02 PM
Z: not to nitpic, more my ignorance.... put in an old work box?

IB: I thought old (existing / from when the house was built) work box was nailed in from a plate above / below the old work box so you can't get to those.

or is my new / old backwards?

which is the one with the ears that tightens up against the sheetrock / adding a box after the house is built?

like this:
1-Gang 14 cu. in. Old Work Box-B114RB - The Home Depot

ok. the caption is old work box. I guess that's my answer. damn, I need help!