Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How do I extend wide 20amp GFI receptacles? Normal extenders are too narrow!

Old 06-21-17, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We just had new backsplash and electric completed in our kitchen and our counter outlets need to be extended. I have used standard outlet box extenders to move the outlets and switches forward, but I am having problems with the 20amp GFI receptacles. The extenders work just fine for the depth of the receptacle, but the width is too narrow. When I put on the extenders the screw terminals are squeezed into the sides of the extenders pretty tightly. I didn't know if this was a concern or if there is a better option to extend these wide receptacles out the 3/4" that I need to.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-17, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I usually use the white plastic arlington industries extenders. They're plastic, so it doesn't matter if the screw terminals touch. I've used them with all types of receptacles, include GFCI.

Arlington | Box Extenders

You can get them at an electrical supply house, Menards or Amazon.

Old 06-21-17, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Please post a picture. I think I know the extenders you suer, but want to confirm .

Old 06-22-17, 05:48 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
There are several ways to extend the face of a device box.

The one is the way/extender that ibpooks suggested and a few others.

I use two mainly. Depending on how far out you have to build the face of the device box will determine which one I normally use for that specific device box (switch or outlet box) I am working on.

I like these two because especially when working with GFCIs they do not take up any space internally (taking away width of working area) so that the GFCI does not fit.

These come in different depths. 1/8", 3/8", 1/4" etc. They fit directly on the face of the opening of the box and do not take up width of the box. You can even stack one on top of the other if need be for deeper recessed boxes.

The other extender I use specifically if the person putting up the sheet rock or tile back splash was a bit careless and did not leave enough wall material behind the ears of the box then I use these. They are stackable and you place the extenders between the device (receptacle or switch) and the device box. They snap together. Again you can stack them on top of each other for greeter depth.

I prefer the first one though as it extends the fill parimeter of the box face, where as the second one just gives you an area to mount the device securely to the box so it remains flush to the device plate.

Both will/may require longer machine screws. You can buy an assortment pack of 6-32 in the electrical department of Lowes and Home Depot.

Old 06-22-17, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attached is a photo of what I am using and I also have the white Arlington extenders. Both are just as snug. I need the extender to come out about 5/8" since I have exposed drywall between the backsplash and box, so the stackable extenders won't work since I need to have some kind of protection between the receptacle and drywall. For some reason I can't upload a photo. Hopefully this link will show you the photo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1F...ew?usp=sharing

Old 06-22-17, 02:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You do not need to use 20 amp GFCIs on 20 amp circuits. I'd suggest going back and looking for 15 amp GFCIs with a slimmer profile. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-X7599.../dp/B0048WPV4Q

Old 06-22-17, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
I would suggest the first one AFJES linked to. You can file out the inside edge if needed.

Old 06-23-17, 05:05 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
The GFCI with slimmer profile as far as I am aware and thought meant that the slimmer referred to the depth of the GFCI not the width. I never found or really noticed that a "slimmer" profile fit any easier in a box width wise. I could be wrong though.

Also, when referring to back splash on a kitchen wall if the back splash is tile using the first extenders (full perimeter) tend to be a problem if the person installing the tile is careless and when cutting the tiles to place near the box edges the tile edges are a bit too large and overlap the area where the box extender reaches. Then when you please the box extender in the cavity to mount to the box it won't fit because a portion of the tile is too wide. So when I see this I go to my second option that I linked to the individual spacers. I still have to be careful of the gap between the receptacle and the box face not exceeding the 1/4". If I can I try to communicate with the person installing the tiles to be careful around any device boxes when installing the tile not to overlap the edges.

I find the first box extenders I linked to work better when working with sheet rock, wood etc that may be the face of the wall so if the sheet rock etc is too close to the edges of the box I can cut some away (with oscillator or knife) and then the box extender will go it.