Low voltage wiring to AC and DC transformers

Old 06-21-17, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low voltage wiring to AC and DC transformers

Installing low voltage LED landscape lighting in back yard in addition to low voltage LED lighting on dock being built. The landscape lights require AC transformer whereas the dock requires both AC (Deck Lights) & a small DC ( underwater lights) LED transformer power source. I plan to have the transformer(s) installed to an outside wall approximately 15 feet from the dock where there is a power outlet. The AC transformer will operate both the landscape lights and the deck lights. I have two issues: (1) Can I pull the 12/2 low voltage wire ( 2 lines) to the dock via 1 single conduit to the respective dock fixtures and (2) Is there a single solution to having only 1 transformer----that is....is there a way to convert power from AC transformer to work with the DC underwater LED light fixtures so that all I would need is 1 75 watt transformer

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-17, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You can run both low voltage cables in the same conduit.
It would also be advisable to stay with the two transformers.

75 watts is pretty small for a transformer. I'm guessing all LED lighting ?
Both transformers should also be plugged into a GFI protected circuit.

Old 06-21-17, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pete. I was hoping that there was a way to have only 1 transformer. The wall space is getting a little busy if not crowded....not to mention the additional expense for a second transformer. Yes the transformer is all LED lighting...actually I need only 75 watts and the transformer will be a 150 watt transformer....I misrepresented the transformer size in my post......and yes I have a GFI protected outlet in addition to a GFI breaker in the sub-panel. Thanks again!!!

Old 06-21-17, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
In order to convert the AC supply to DC you would need a bridge rectifier and regulator.
Just converting AC directly will yield approx 18vdc.