Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring dilemma while replacing induction cooktop with regular electric cooktop

Old 06-22-17, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My induction cook top just stopped working tonight and I will replace it with a regular cook top until I can afford a new induction or can switch to gas. I know the wiring for the induction is pretty heavy duty and is connected to a double 25 (total of 50) breaker. I don't think the new (a used cook top) one will pull as much juice. Can I just hook up the current set up to the new(er) cook top? Does the fact that it draws less than the induction make any difference to anything? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-17, 04:12 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I know the wiring for the induction is pretty heavy duty and is connected to a double 25 (total of 50) breaker.
Is 25 amps really what it says on the breaker handle or does it say 50 amps? A breaker marked 25 amps is just that, 25 amps. That is not heavy duty. It is very low amperage for cooking equipment.
Can I just hook up the current set up to the new(er) cook top?
How many amps is the new cook top? What is the number on the handle of the existing breaker? Is it really 25?

Last edited by ray2047; 06-23-17 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 09:24 AM
With ANY electric range/cooktop, you need to read the installation instructions from the manufacturer for the specific model, use the proper size wire from the breaker panel, and use the proper size breaker(s).

Different model ranges/cooktops will require different size breakers/wire sizes.

Search google.com for the manufacturer's name, then look around their web site for documentation for the specific model.

(When all else fails, read the directions!)

Old 06-24-17, 01:22 PM
I tried to put a pic of the breaker but it won't let me. It looks like two breakers connected by one handle...the black goes into one and the red into the other. the handle says 25 25

Old 06-24-17, 02:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
the handle says 25 25
Then you probably have #10 NM-b to the existing cooktop. If you can verify that you need a new cooktop that uses no more than a 30 amp circuit (no more than an actual full load of 24 amps. You will need to verify cable size and change to a 30 amp breaker assuming it is verified as #10. If actual cable size is greater than #10 you may be able to use a higher amp cooktop.

Picture upload isn't working. You need to remote link or include a URL of your picture that ends in .jpg or .png.