Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

3 way switch working, but not the single pole - Need HELP!

Old 06-24-17, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I cannot figure out why my single pole switch is working, but the 3-way switch is. Can you tell by looking at these pictures if I need to switch around the wiring?

I do have a multimeter, but I am not very skilled with electrical stuff. I'm much more mechanically inclined, so any help or suggestions is appreciated.

3-way switch: (image uploading wouldn't work so I apologize for the extra click over to my image hosting on imgur...)
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Single Pole switch:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-17, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Pro's will be in sometime. One question do these switches control the same light?

Old 06-24-17, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are trying to control one light, you need two 3 way switches not one 3 way & 1 single pole.

Old 06-24-17, 07:15 PM
These switches DO operate the same light. The 3-way dims, turns the light on and off. The single pole switch SHOULD turn the light on and off, but does not. It's a simple rocker switch.

Back story:
I installed a new light fixture and installed new LED bulbs in the fixture. The 3 way dimmer that was there prior to the new fixture was not rated for LEDs, so I installed a new 3-way LED compatible dimmer switch. This 3-way switch works flawlessly.

I did not change out the single pole switch. I was under the impression that only the dimmers and 3-ways needed to be LED compatible. Do I need a special LED single pole switch?

Or is it just a wiring issue on the single pole?

Old 06-24-17, 07:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The single pole switch SHOULD turn the light on and off, but does not.
I don't see how that's possible.

Old 06-24-17, 07:56 PM
Why not? What do I need in order to make this work?

Old 06-24-17, 07:58 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Very confusing. 3-way switches are single pole switches, SPDT. Regular rocker switches are single pole switches, SPST. Are you saying you have a 3-way circuit with one SPDT dimmer and one SPST switch? That won't work. Give us the make and model number of the dimmer switch.

Old 06-24-17, 08:37 PM
I have one SPDT, Feit Electric Model # 72304 and what I thought was an SPST, Lightolier ZPR-3. Here's a link to the Lightolier:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightolier-Co.../dp/B000ETY2K6

Old 06-24-17, 09:41 PM
Both are 3-way switches but with electronic switches you often can not mix types. You must use a master and its compatible slave or in some cases a master will work with a mechanical 3-way switch.

Note also that just because a switch is labeled compatible with LED doesn't mean it will work with all LEDs.

Old 06-24-17, 09:46 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
Lightolier ZPR-3 is a remote controller for sunrise preset dimmer. You cannot use it for Feit 72304.

Feit 72304 dimmer can be used with a regular 3 way switch in 3 way circuit.

Old 06-25-17, 08:13 AM
Old 06-25-17, 01:48 PM
Use the second switch. The first has a light. If it requires a neutral and you don't have one it won't work If it draws power through the fixture it controls that would cause other problems if LEDs are used. You're really overthinking what to buy. A two dollar 3-way mechanical switch from Home Depot is all you need.

Old 06-25-17, 03:06 PM
Roger that. Thanks for the direction.

Old 06-25-17, 04:57 PM
Picked up the new, basic 3-way switch (SPST) and tried wiring it up. The light goes on, but the new SPST still does not turn it on or off. It only goes on/off/dims via the SPDT.

So I started testing the wires for power and the two black wires you see together (under the ground) in the below picture have juice. When they are connected the light stays on, when they are not it turns off.

http://imgur.com/a/GtHs7

Given this info, is there anything you can tell me to help wire up this bad boy properly?

Last edited by The Gootz; 06-25-17 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-25-17, 05:23 PM
You need to identify the common wire and connect it to the common terminal.

Name:  3-way_Dead-end-1.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  37.0 KB

Notice in the diagram that the common of the switch on the right is connected to the power out to the light in the left hand box.

Caveat this is a diagram for two mechanical switches. If the electronic switch you have does not have two traveler connections and a common post back.

Old 06-25-17, 05:57 PM
I don't have any way to visually see which wire is powering the light. What's the easiest way to test which wire is the common wire?

I've never struggled this much with basic electrical stuff, so I apologize for my ignorance. I've changed out all of the other light switches in my house with no problem, this one is just giving me grief...

Old 06-25-17, 06:47 PM
I watched a video and figured out how to test the wires to find the common. So I got the SPST switch wired up to where it can now turn on and off the light...woohoo!

But something doesn't seem to be wired correctly either in the SPST or the SPDT. When the SPST is on, the SPDT rocker and dimmer functions both work. When the SPST is off, the SPDT doesn't work at all.

Any ideas?

Old 06-25-17, 07:31 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
Picked up the new, basic 3-way switch (SPST) and tried wiring it up.
3 way switches are SPDT (Single Pole Dual Throw) not SPST. Does your switch have 3 terminals excluding ground ?
If so, it is SPDT.

I could not find instruction manual for your Feit dimmer, but there usually are 3 wires (or terminals) on the dimmer, and one wire (usually black) is line (power source) and the other 2 goes to 2 non-common terminals. Common terminal of the 3 way switch will be wired to the light.

3 way switch wiring with dimmer may not work in all cases because the power has to go through dimmer first, then to the regular 3 way switch and then to the light. You are switching output of the dimmer with 3 way switch.
If there aren't enough conductors (wires) to do that, it won't work.