Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Motion detector switch with adjacent manual switch override for two light circs?

Motion detector switch with adjacent manual switch override for two light circs?

Old 06-25-17, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My garage has 4 lights, two on each of two adjacent switches. I bought a motion detection switch and installed it in one of the switch spots, leaving the other there but disconnected. The two circuits were joined together. I switched to LED so I'm figured it was OK joining the circuits (right)?.

It works fine, except there's an area of my garage that the detector can't "see" me, and it shuts off while I'm working.

So I want to manually override and turn the lights ON without relying on the detector. I have that dummy switch handy, so that seemed ideal. But I'm not clear on how to wire it.

*note* I've read that "most" detector switches have some built-in mechanism for manual override. I've tried the various methods with no success and - most importantly - the instructions make no mention of it. I can click the button to turn it on/off manually, but it goes back to normal operation one "cycle" later. I have it set to 30 seconds, so if I turn it on manually it still shuts off 30 seconds later if it doesn't see me.

If this were DC I think I could figure it out. Or if I could SEE the wires, I'm sure I could too. But as is, my brain can't handle it and my Google-FU isn't up to snuff. Anyone feel like drawing up a diagram for me? Schematically, I get that I need to wire the two switches in parallel but with this whole common neutral thing, I'm just not working out the practical application in my head. *dumb*

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-17, 01:15 PM
Is it:

- Hot from power main goes to gold terminals of both switches.
- Hot to both lights goes to silver terminals of both switches
- Neutrals from both lights and power main tied together.

Is it that simple?

Old 06-25-17, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What was the reason for an inside motion detector? They have been used in public bathrooms & the same thing happened but for a different reason. It was due to lack of motion.

Old 06-25-17, 02:07 PM
Why not just use something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/TOPGREENER-TS...etector+switch

It has on, off, and motion

Old 06-25-17, 02:46 PM
Well, I'd prefer to make due with what I already have.

Old 06-25-17, 02:54 PM
The reason? To have the light turn on . I sprained my ankle one night because I had to go through my garage but didn't want to leave the light on while gone and I didn't see the large chunk of ice my son thought would be a good idea to leave at the base of the stairs. Our garage door opener is supposed to light up for five minutes when the door is activated but the light stopped working and the company determined an expensive new controller board would be required to fix it. I figured a motion sensor was a better solution and cheaper. And it is... for every scenario other than when I'm working in the one area the sensor can't see.

So question remains.

Old 06-25-17, 05:30 PM
All good... I just tried it the way I described and it worked fine.