Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can't find the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) rating for a Titan 8500 generator

Can't find the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) rating for a Titan 8500 generator

Old 06-25-17, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I recently placed a small deposit on a generator and then realized that I didn't know the THD rating for this product. I have searched the web high and low but can't find it anywhere. I'm hoping that Titan is not hiding it or that it is so bad that they are ashamed to publish it. Does anyone out there know what it is or where to find it? Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-17, 09:55 AM
I just found the number for the factory.Name:  CameraZOOM-20170624170041825.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  46.0 KB\

Right on the side of the generator.

The report wasn't too good however. The customer service rep said it was 14% with no load, and 23% at full load. Yuck!!! That's terrible. That thing probably wouldn't run an electric chain saw never mind sensitive electronics or computers. I may back out of that deal.

Last edited by okrobie; 06-26-17 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can't you install a differential noise filter to cancel the noise and prevent it from coupling to your equipment?

Old 06-26-17, 10:37 AM
I don't know much about them. Where could I find out more about those differential noise filters?

I do have a nice step up/down transformer that might clean up the waveform. I could run my ham radio gear and computers off of that.

Name:  CameraZOOM-20170626124641034.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  23.4 KB

Old 06-27-17, 07:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I honestly don't know if such a thing exists for AC, but I imagine there is some product out there for this purpose. I am more familiar with low voltage audio electronics. Differential amps/filters are ubiquitous in the audio electronics field.

Old 06-27-17, 09:08 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
I'd be surprised that the THD would be in double digits with a simple, revolving field generator. MOre of a possible issue with invertor style devices. With ham gear, it will all get converted to DC anyway. If the genset did have 20% content at 120 and 180Hz, lets say, you could get equipment with transformers heating more than they should, due to eddy currents. I guess, I don't believe the reps quoted numbers. Ask him what frequency.

Old 06-28-17, 12:22 AM
I also called a Titan Industries Distributor and he was amazed that the factory rep would tell the truth. He said that it was an accurate figure, but that it is a closely guarded secret. You won't find it in any Titan literature or manuals.

You are right about my Ham Gear running from DC, but there is always the Power Supply, and mine is a Pyramid 50 amp and I wouldn't bet a plug nickel that it would run for very long on extremely noisy power.

I gave my Tectronics scope away so I can no longer see the waveform. I foolishly thought that I wouldn't have any further need of it.

Thanks for all the help guys, Regards, Jim

Old 06-28-17, 02:30 AM
Hey guys please forgive me if I don't understand. I am an electrician but not familiar with this. I am just curious about what will harmonic balance interfere with on a computer ( I'm assuming it's a home pc)? If it's a generator I assume it's for back up only so minimal use I would think. I am in the u.s. so 120 ac 60hrz. Any information on this I will appreciate no matter how large or small thanks guys. I know it can matter in a commercial setting with motors for example but residential I had no idea

Old 06-28-17, 03:56 AM
cfelty79, there is much written on the subject so I don't feel prepared to summarize it here. Just Google "generator power for sensitive electronics" and you will get a boatload of information.

Maybe I'm not too far off track with my transformer idea. Here is a product from Grainger.

https://www.grainger.com/product/SOL...ebparentimage$

Old 06-28-17, 04:01 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What if you convert to DC then use a pure sign wave inverter to make AC?

Old 06-28-17, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
By the time you go through all that hassle to clean up a generator you have not purchased... why not just buy a better generator that generates cleaner power up front?

Old 06-28-17, 08:17 AM
Thanks Ray, but that could get pricer than I like. You will see why in a moment.

Pilot Dane, you have hit upon one of my major character defects... GREED!!!

Name:  titan-price-tag.png
Views: 77
Size:  44.5 KB

The "As-Is" part was identified as a small gasoline leak, which I couldn't find, but I have repaired leakers in the past and they are generally no big deal.

Last edited by okrobie; 06-28-17 at 08:21 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 06-28-17, 08:25 AM
Telecom guy... can you say Chinese??? There is the solution to the mystery.

Old 06-28-17, 09:38 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Yeah; one would't think they have to invest in an audio spectrum analyzer to choose a simple generator.

It's not obvious to me how one would be able to create these harmonics with a simple rotating device. Unless, perhaps, the stator is not wound correctly, so the output is not a smooth sine wave. Now, the small, one lung motor is not a precisely controlled device either, and you would expect small rotational changes as the 4 stroke goes through its 4 cycles. That would put some spectrum around 60Hz, but 20% noise?

3600 rpm is just 60 rev/second. So, the flywheel is an important component in tight speed control. And, one last point. This noise MIGHT just be low frequency stuff, +/- 60Hz, and therefore would not be an issue for a transformer fed power supply. THD measurements are sometimes done with a notch filter at the desired frequency and the instrument looks at all what's left. What's left may or may not be of harm. Back to the spectrum analyzer.