Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Restoring wiring to intentionally disconnected electric baseboard heater

Old 06-26-17, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I think this is a simple job, but when I opened up the heater and saw all the wires, it was not simple enough for me to attempt. However maybe with some guidance it would be possible. Thanks in advance.

My wife and I bought a house, and the previous owners had intentionally disabled one baseboard heater because it was close to something they wanted to be careful with. There are two heaters connected to this circuit from the fuse box, and the other one is still connected. It is a 220V circuit (double switch on the fuse panel). I believe the heater I'm looking to reconnect is first in line from the source - it has more wires inside the box and I am assuming some of them are to pass along current to the next heater in line.

I know enough to turn off the circuit at the fuse box and test the wires before even contemplating doing anything. I know its just a matter of hooking up the right wires, but I realized this is something I want to be 100% certain of before attempting. We may still hire someone but I thought I'd see if I could find some help on here first.

Here's what it looks like on the inside (hopefully the wires are all visible enough):

Name:  20170617_220016.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  27.2 KBName:  20170617_220047.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  27.3 KBName:  20170617_215935.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  26.1 KB

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-17, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Is there only the one black wire disconnected? I see the two reds but only see one black that looks like the circuit wire from the wall.

Old 06-26-17, 03:29 PM
Apologies for the crowded pics. There are two sets of wires coming from the wall (red/black/ground on each), and it seems the two blacks are capped off together, the two grounds (copper) are capped off together, and then the reds are capped off along with a third wire, which comes from the top of the heater. I think the bottom pic shows this best. Then there is another black wire attached to the middle part of the heater, that is disconnected on its own.

Old 06-26-17, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The two blacks, reds and grounds continue to the next heater. You just need to connect any heater wires to those wires. You should have three under each splice. I would use larger wire nuts (marrettes).

Old 06-26-17, 04:22 PM
Aha! That makes a lot of sense. For some reason I thought three wires in one nut was not normal, but that makes sense, that the current is able to pass on to the next one as well as flow through the heater...

So, just to confirm, all I likely need to do is take the one black (heater) wire on its own, and combine it with the two blacks from the wall? There's no ground wire from the heater but I assume that's ok...perhaps it is connected to the ground on the last heater....

Thanks so much for your response, pcboss!

Old 06-26-17, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The heater should have a ground screw and be connected to the grounding wires from the house.

I believe they only disconnected the one hot disabling the heater.