Grounding question (Japan)

Old 06-27-17, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Grounding question (Japan)

Howdy! I'm running into a problem and was hoping to get some opinions here. I'm an electrical idiot, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I live in Japan and most of the outlets in my house are two-pronged w/ NO ground (typical here). I have a ****load of 3-prong guitar amps and computers in one room and use 3-prong powerstrips w/ a 'to ground'(?) wire (http://i.imgur.com/JaDxdxm.jpg) that remains unused, since the outlets near the floor are all 2 prong with no screw to attach the ground wire.

I'm getting a lot of unnecessary noise from my amps (and my USB mics), and I'm beginning to believe my no ground situation is causing this.

My question is this - I have ONE ground point high up on a wall where my AC plugs in (125v)(http://i.imgur.com/kfkPA6h.jpg). Can I snake a long ground wire from it and attach it to the ground wire of a powerstrip that's plugged into one of the two prong floor outlets? In other words, Will essentially using the ground point of one outlet to ground strips plugged into another work, or will I end up homeless from the resulting electrical fire?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-17, 07:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are there ground screws on any of the amps?

Old 06-28-17, 03:00 AM
Yes that will work but I can't stress this enough... DON'T! If you do that there are a number of things that could potentially harm you or most likely burn up your equipment. A ground is a ground but if you wasn't paying attention and plugged into the wrong hole or if there was a fault in the wiring of the circuit or in your equipment the danger is too much to risk. If you were an electrician and new theory then you would understand the potential danger. You can however unplug the ac unit and run a cord from there to your equipment and see if that solves the problem and I am pretty sure you are correct about it being a grounding problem. Also the plug strip should be a nice one if you can afford it. If you find that it was grounding problem you can always set a splitter at the ac outlet to accommodate ac and cord for equipment. I hope this helps

Old 06-28-17, 10:22 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
A video about this issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1d3gEMBGeE