Adding another light switch to existing 4-way

Old 06-29-17, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding another light switch to existing 4-way

I will be adding another light switch to an existing 4-way setup. I would be interested in seeing a wiring diagram to add this switch correctly.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-17, 08:21 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Will the 4-way between the existing 4-way and one of the 3-ways. If so it will be wired the same way.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-29-17 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
This is a basic 4w circuit. You can have an unlimited amount of 4w switches in the circuit. The 4w switches are always between the 3w switches.

In order to add an additional 4w switch to your system you will have to run 2) three wire cables from your new switch to any existing switch location.

Name:  4w.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  13.8 KB

Pick the location you tie in to carefully as you're adding a lot of additional wiring which will overfill many boxes.

Old 06-29-17, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I think this means that I take the red and black off one side of the existing 4-way switch and run these wires to and from the "new added" 4-way and back to the original 4-way...right?

Old 06-29-17, 02:38 PM
Hi Ray,

Yes--I plan to wire the next switch so it is in line with the existing 4-way, effectively "between" the 2 3-way switches.

Yes, there are 5 wires at the existing 4-way. I believe I would take the black and red from one "side" of the current 4-way and effectively run those to the new switch, then back, sound right?

The power comes in at one of the existing 3-way switches.

Old 06-29-17, 05:04 PM
In a 4way system you have a feed at one end and switch leg at the other, this is key- at the 4way switch you only have what's called travelers and those you can't mess up as long as one cables 2 wires go to top screws and other cables 2 wires go to the bottom screws. Left screw and right screw it doesn't matter what what wire you choose to put where, top and bottom is all that matters. The other guys are correct this is hopefully just explaining it in a simple way that you can clearly understand

Old 06-29-17, 05:07 PM
Also like the one guy said it doesn't matter if you add 1 switch or 4 because you're basically just extending the travelers a little longer with each new switch you add

Old 06-29-17, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
2 wires go to top screws and other cables 2 wires go to the bottom screws.
Be careful as that is not entirely true.
Some are top and bottom. Some are side by side.

The wiring connections are plainly shown on the box for the device and MUST be followed.

Old 06-29-17, 05:36 PM
Thank you. I forgot about that. I haven't seen them in a while but I have seen them and I think they have a black or body the few times I have seen them. Sir he is right so just make sure you check that when you buy the switch. The guy in the electrical department will know so ask him if you're not too sure. I hope we helped you out. Thanks again max I'm glad you caught that.

Old 06-29-17, 06:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The guy in the electrical department will know so ask him if you're not too sure.
At BigBox just because (s)he is helping you in electrical department doesn't mean (s)he has any training. At one I worked there was sometimes no one assigned to electrical and either the Gardening associate or the Flooring associate were the only employes in the area. It is also good to remember that a DPST switch looks like a 4-way but isn't. Things get put in the wrong bin all the time.