3-way switch

Old 06-29-17, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3-way switch

I thought I knew what I was doing. But I find myself baffled.

I want to replace a 3way switch thats in my kitchen with a double 3way/3way so I can have another switch added to the existing box. I cant figure out how to make it work, I cant even figure out how it worked in the first place so I can just put back the old single 3way switch.

This is in the kitchen with the original 3way, its not hooked right (cause its not working), this was taken after I messed with it, then tried to put it back. I didnt get a before pic (kicking myself over that)
Name:  0629170955.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  44.7 KB

This is in the garage, the other side of the 3way circuit going on here.
Name:  0629170954.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  41.5 KB

Any help would be super awesome! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-17, 08:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you have a power in cable at the switches in the first box? In the garage box is it only wires from a single 3-conductor cable connected to the switch?

Old 06-29-17, 08:45 AM
All the power comes from the house side. I believe the garage is all fed off the 3way in the house.

Old 06-29-17, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
You want to cram 4 switches in that kitchen box ?
It looks like the wiring is shoe horned in there now and you'll need to add more ?

There needs to be more than just the 3wire to the garage to have three way light control and power for receptacles.

Old 06-29-17, 10:18 AM
In the kitchen hook the red wire to the old wire right next to it using a wire nut then put the black and white wire to the screws at the bottom of the old 3way switch and leave the single wire coming from the switch on the right hooked to the SCREW it's on now and it all will work again like it used to

Old 06-29-17, 10:21 AM
Also why are you wanting to add a new switch into the system please be more specific.

Old 06-29-17, 11:18 AM
PJmax,
I know what you mean, the box already had a single 3way switch, a double switch, and a switch/outlet. But the wife wants to add a light above the sink area, and shes the boss lol.

cfelty79,
Thank you for this suggestion, I will be trying it out after a little bit. Like I mentioned just a second ago, wanting to add another switch so that I can add a new light in the room.

Old 06-29-17, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry I missed the new light part of it. What I said before will make things work like it used to and what your asking over all can be done but you need to find a neutral in that box. A hot isn't a problem but a neutral could be. The picture in the kitchen shows a third device but there might not be a neutral there either unless it's an outlet and if it is there will be a neutral there but it could be a 20 amp kitchen circuit and if that's the case you can't use it. Also if you're wanting to make the new light a 3way then you really should call a professional because in the garage you might have 2 circuits in that box and on either side if you're not 100 percent sure you could tie into a neutral from a different circuit and you can't do that. Your home looks about 1950s to late 60s and the codes have changed so much since then you could very easily get into something that has potential to be a major headache or dangerous if your not careful and a professional will know what you can and can't do.