3-way switch not working

Old 06-29-17, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
3-way switch not working

I have a light controlled by two switches. It was working fine (could turn on/off from either switch), but just now the following happened: I turned the one of the switches on and the light started flickering/making a cracking noise, so I turned that same switch off immediately. Then I went to the other of the two switches and I turned it on: the light turned on; turning the second switch off turned the light off. I went back to the first switch and turned it on, but the light did not turn on (I tried that a couple of times); so I turned the first switch back off. I am wondering what could be happening? Thank you in advance for any comments.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-17, 01:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Sounds like a switch went bad or a wire came loose. Switch is easy to change or to check for loose wires. If you pull switch out and see any wires back stabbed move them to the screws. Be sure to turn power off before you work on switch.

Old 06-30-17, 03:39 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
With a 3-way switch you need to mark the wire to the common terminal. The common terminal is the odd colored screw (other than green), usually dark gray. If you end up changing the switch you must go by screw color on the new switch as the common may be in a different position.

Old 07-01-17, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with the other guys and from the way it sounds you should try and do something either yourself or call someone soon because that could potentially be dangerous if it's left as is for too long