Half my Breakers Tripped in Storm

Old 06-30-17, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Half my Breakers Tripped in Storm

Just checking as this has never happened to me before. About half of the breakers for my house tripped during a storm a few minutes ago. I flipped everything back on and everything seems to be okay. Do I need to keep a look out for any potential problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-17, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
It was likely caused by a lightning strike. Check all your appliances/equipment for function. Also check any GFCI or AFCI devices or circuit breakers.

Old 06-30-17, 05:25 PM
Received 60 Votes on 55 Posts
Not that this alone is going to provide anything conclusive, but were the ones that tripped all on one side of the panel or the other? The ones on the left are on one leg and the ones on the right are on the other leg, so, if it did recur, you may have a starting point. But lightning does strange things sometimes, so, again, nothing conclusive to gain, other than a mental note.

Old 06-30-17, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Pedro, most (If not all) electrical panels are set up so that every other breaker is on a leg like this:

AA
BB
AA
BB
AA
BB

However your thinking is a good point, could have a bad leg.

Old 06-30-17, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
I believe the Swedish panels are set up ABBA.

Old 06-30-17, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
I guess technically GE panels that use the skinny breakers (THQP) are also like that.

Old 07-01-17, 11:10 AM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
OR, the "about half" could be the GFCI and AFCI, both containing electronics and sensitive to transients.

Old 07-01-17, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most panels are set up like like the one guy said every other breaker is like leg a next one below it is leg b and then a again. If the house is older you won't have afci breakers and possibly no gfi breakers either. If everything came back on I wouldn't worry at all and if it was a lighting strike or over voltage of any kind thing might start going out in the near future one by one so keep an eye out but everything is safe so you can rest assured

Old 07-01-17, 05:46 PM
Received 60 Votes on 55 Posts
William, long day yesterday and I didn't have my head on straight, but excuses aside, yes, they are correct regarding a typical panel in the U.S. That said, my point was that when something like that happens it is good to note which breakers are affected and if there is a pattern to them as that could indicate a potential problem and you should investigate further. Again though, I would still guess that your disruption was related to the lightning.