Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need info about wiring up garage workshop - subpanel needed

Old 06-30-17, 02:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I moved into a new house and need to setup power for my workshop. I have quite a few 230V tools (table saw, dust collector, jointer, bandsaw, and will have a welder in the near future). I will also be installing a mini split AC system requiring its own 230v circuit.

My plan is to install a subpanel in the garage (about 50ft from the main panel). I will likely go with a 100 amp subpanel and use 3-3-3-5 wire to feed the subpanel. There is open access through the attic above the house and garage, with the only difficult part benig punching through the spray foam at the main panel.

I will then branch off into 3-4 230v circuits and 1-2 115v circuits. The dust collector and mini split AC will each need dedicated circuits, but the other tools can share circuits since they will never be run concurrently.

What kind of codes do I need to be concerned with here? I would love to run wires behind the walls, but the garage is already finished and painted and I am not sure if that is allowed? The other option is conduit based routing which isn't my favorite but would be acceptable.

Is an inspection mandatory for DIY circuits of this type? There are so many youtube DIY videos showing this stuff and inspection is rarely ever mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-17, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

BTW - It's 120 and 240 volts.

Most locations require an electrical permit and inspections for any electrical work. Contact your local city for the requirements. Sometimes it is a city inspector, other times it is a state inspector.

You did not mention if you will be using copper or aluminum, but with #3 I will assume copper. Make sure you use a cable and not just wire as you mentioned.

Cables can be fished behind finished walls but it is a lot more work then running conduit on the surface. You could make holes in the drywall at the top plates where you want to fish and then continue down to the receptacle location and just do small patches.

Old 06-30-17, 03:42 PM
C
I can fish through the top in the attic, but it is my understanding that the wire needs secured to the studs at least every 4 ft. My ceiling is 10ft, so I would need at least 1 point secured coming down behind the drywall, correct?

Old 06-30-17, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 605 Votes on 570 Posts
A cable fished thru a closed wall does not need to be fastened within the wall.

Old 07-01-17, 10:08 AM
C
Max is right that's not necessary and if you were just adding a simple circuit and only 1, then the inspection part of it wouldn't be a big deal but with your situation you DO need a permit and inspection. Most jurisdictions will let a home owner work on there own home but in rare cases they require a licensed electrician to pull a permit. Call the city or county and ask just to be sure. An inspection is a must on your project.