3 wire into older breaker box

Old 06-30-17, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 wire into older breaker box

I bought a house that is 2 wire. I understand I can run 3 wire and hook the neutral and ground to the same bar. Question is, Is this better than the 2 wire currently in the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-17, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
If that is a main panel..... then the grounds and neutrals will connect to the same bar.
If it is a sub panel.... there will be a bar for neutral and one for ground.

Ground is not included in the wire count.
You currently have two wire cable with no ground.
You would replace it with two wire with ground.

Updating to wiring with ground is an excellent idea.

Old 06-30-17, 05:32 PM
Thanks PJ, I have to do almost everything else to this house, might as well do the wiring too.

Old 07-01-17, 11:33 AM
I recommend only grounding places where it's needed. Like if you know where your computer is going to be then yes that circuit should be grounded but most house hold items like vacuum cleaner clothing iron hair dryer alarm clock ect all of those things have a 2 wire plug anyway so rewiring the whole house isn't necessary. You will pull copper out and put copper back in and it's very expensive and lots of work. Let's say in your bedroom what will you be plugging in that has a 3 prong plug...? Nothing. Running new grounded circuits to key places is a good idea but the whole house is a waste and highly unnecessary

Old 07-01-17, 11:44 AM
Putting gfi outlets in the kitchen and bathroom is a good idea and running dedicated circuits to like your microwave or coffee pot toaster thing like that need to be split up a little because generally it 2 are on an old General circuit the it will trip the breaker and that's a pain in the butt or in a bathroom where curling irons blow dryer etc that pulls a big load so a dedicated circuit is a good idea for convince so the breaker isn't tripping every morning when trying to get ready. I'm sure you see what I'm trying to say. Good luck either way buddy and we are here for you anytime