Microwave and TV on same circuit?

Old 07-03-17, 08:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Microwave and TV on same circuit?

I have a 20 amp circuit that has two outlets. One is for the microwave that draws about 15 amps and the other is for a TV mounted to the wall for a couple of extra watts. I heard about the 50% rule and obviously the microwave would draw in much more than 50%.

I found the below rule. Would the microwave be ok since the TV is a cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment fastened in place???

When they mean cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place are they talking about appliances like vacuum cleaners?

(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

Thanks!

Old 07-03-17, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Is that a countertop microwave ?

Old 07-03-17, 08:34 PM
M
Yes. I originally wanted a built in but I don't want to have my wet bar meet the definition of a kitchen (permanent cooking appliances). I have 2 GFCI outlets but they are 15 amps on one line with the lighting fixtures and I don't want to be required to add 2 dedicated 20 amps as required by a kitchen.

Which leads to an interesting question -- many countertop microwaves have an option for a trim kit to make it "look" built in. Do you think I can get away with a trim kit on a countertop microwave but still not meet the definition of a kitchen? I suppose if I need to get the house inspected I could just remove the trim kit.

Old 07-03-17, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
I can't answer the question about the definition of a kitchen but running those two appliances on one 20A circuit are fine.

A built in microwave is usually one that is actually built into the cabinet or mounted over a range.

Old 07-03-17, 08:45 PM
M
Oh I have a cabinet (under the counter). I'm placing my countertop inside it because I want to keep the countertop clear. It will look nicer with a trim kit...

So when you say it's OK to run the two on a 20 amp, you're not worried about the 50% rule?

Old 07-03-17, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
No.... those are considered portable units...... even if the TV is on the wall.

Old 07-03-17, 08:55 PM
M
Oh, I guess they are indeed. Thanks

Old 07-04-17, 10:00 AM
many countertop microwaves have an option for a trim kit
I think microwaves that offer a trim kit are difficult to find, some salespersons are not very knowledgeable on the subject. Let us know if you need help...
If you already found a compatible kit you are doing good.

Happy 4th

Old 07-08-17, 10:33 AM
M
Here's a company that makes custom faceplates for any microwave: http://http://www.microtrim.com/home
I bought from them a couple of years ago and they are very easy to install and look great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: