One exterior outlet dead...help.

Old 07-08-17, 09:31 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question One exterior outlet dead...help.

Howdy,

Looking for some help around an odd issue. I'm familiar (dangerous) with home electrical systems having done a lot of work around the house. Recently I was using an exterior outlet with a shop vac. It worked fine, no issues. After that I plugged in a line of exterior lights and the outlet was completely dead.

1. I've checked ALL GFCIs in and outside the house....testing each one. None were tripped.

2. I know specifically which GFCI this particular outlet is on and made sure it was working.

3. I've checked all breakers...none were tripped but I reset some just in case.

4. ALL the other outlets in the house work.

5. I swapped outlets with a new one that I tested inside and this also fails.

Seems to me it's a problem with the wiring to this specific outlet?

Any help is appreciated. House was built in 2004.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-17, 09:54 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Using a multimeter check the voltage black to white and black to ground at the problem receptacle. If you backstabbed it move the wires to the screws.

Old 07-08-17, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

5. I swapped outlets with a new one that I tested inside and this also fails.
If you changed the receptacle (outlet) and it still doesn't work, the issue is likely in another box. If you check with a meter (not a non-contact tester) you should get 120 volts between black and white , and black and ground. You should also be able to read continuity between white and ground. If none of those tests work you will need to start going back on the circuit.

2. I know specifically which GFCI this particular outlet is on and made sure it was working.
If you know which GFCI protects this outlet, that would be the next place I would go. Check to see if the LOAD side of the GFCI is putting out 120 volts between black and white. You can also test that the GFCI is working properly by going from LOAD black to ground. The GFCI should trip.

Old 07-08-17, 10:11 AM
A
Thanks guys. I did forget to mention that I tested white/black and it shows 13V.

The other exterior outlets are also on the same GFCI and they work.

I will go and test GFCI and see if that helps.

Old 07-08-17, 10:24 AM
A
I checked the GFCI and it's 120V all the way around. The unit also trips correctly. Any other ideas?

Old 07-08-17, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
If outlets are daisy chained look at last working outlet. Any wires back stabbed move to screws, redo any wire nut connections.

Old 07-08-17, 12:02 PM
I tested white/black and it shows 13V.
If digital not analog multimeter that is really likely 0v. What is ground to black.

Old 07-08-17, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
If you have 120 volts on the output then there may be another outlet between the GFCI box and the non working box. You need to start taking things apart until you find the fault.

I will also mention we have, many times in the past, had people tell us they have looked all over for the GFCI only to find one buried behind stuff in a garage or basement. Also, depending on the age of the house the GFCI could be in a bathroom, basement or garage.

Old 07-08-17, 09:43 PM
A
Ground to black is also 13v and it is a digital meter. I can open up the other exterior outlets to test.

Old 07-08-17, 10:11 PM
Yes you need to open the others. Move any wires in regular recptacles that are in the back quick connects to the screws. (GFCIs don't have back stabs through the back wire connections look similar. However back wire connection are held by screw pressure so ate okay.)
Ground to black is also 13v
so you have probably lost the hot.

You only have one GFCI in the circuit don't you?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: