No power at all to 3 outlets in same room

Old 07-08-17, 01:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No power at all to 3 outlets in same room

In my spare bedroom I have 5 outlets, 3 of them do not work at all. 2 are on the same wall 1 is on a wall by itself and the 2 working ones are each on their own wall. The circuit breaker is not tripped and works fine to kill power and re apply power to the 2 working outlets. I've checked and reset every GFI and all are just fine. I've replaced all 3 outlets and when doing so found that one of them the wire was too short to reach the outlet so the old one was only half installed. Thinking this may be the problem I connected wires to reach the outlet and it did not change anything. I've since undone that so now the outlet has only 1 hot 1 neutral and the ground to it instead of 2 of everything. When I plug in the electrical tester nothing shows up at all and never has. I never really used this room up until now so I do not know when they stopped working or if they ever have. Please let me know what you think

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-17, 02:25 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They could be switched & the switch is off.

Old 07-08-17, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Picture of wires to outlet will let us what is there,

Old 07-08-17, 05:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Moved to the correct forum.

Have you read: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html The basics are look for a tripped GFCI inside and outside the house. Then look for the hidden GFCI you didn't know about. The problem could be in the last working receptacle or first non working receptacle. All backstabs need to be moved to the screws.

Do you have a multimeter, preferably analog not digital?

Old 07-09-17, 09:31 AM
M
Appreciate the responses, I've checked every switch around these outlets and didn't change anything. The outlets were back stabbed but when I installed new ones I put them under the screws. Still no change. Ray I do have a multimeter but it is digital. What would I be looking for when checking the last working outlet ?

Old 07-09-17, 10:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
One pair of wires feeds power in to the receptacle . The second pair provides power downstream to the rest of the circuit. All the wires need to be connected .