Whole-House Low Voltage Lighting

Old 05-02-01, 01:12 PM
Visiting Guest
I am looking for information about the repair and/or upgrade of a whole-house low voltage lighting system. I just purchased a home which was built in 1952, and cannot find anyone with any experience in working with the electrical system. Ideally, I would like to upgrade the system as the switches are all 50 years old, as are the associated relays, and transformers.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-01, 06:47 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Just cut in a remodle style switch box, fish a 12/2 from that new switch to the light fixture where the relay is and connect where the output of the relay is. You now have a normal wiring system if you do this throughout the house. 120 volts go to all the light fixtures. The low voltage is only in the switch legs. Just replace the low voltage switch legs and install 12/2 and a normal switch in a normal box where the low voltage switch box was.

Now if you have more than one location where more than one switch controls the same lights then you will have to install a 120 volt rated 3 or more way switch system for that particular light.

Hope this helps

Wg