Replacing Light Switches

Old 07-10-17, 12:51 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Light Switches

I just purchased a new home and was wanting to replace a couple of standard switches with Z-wave switches that I had bought. These new switches require knowing which is the line and load as well as having a neutral wire. I've installed a few of these switches before without issue but am kind of curious as to the wiring that was done with these switches.

Basically, there is a light/fan combo that is on 2 separate switches currently. I am replacing each switch with a Zwave switch (one fan control, one light control) however, there seems to be some extra wires in my setup.

I've attached a picture. Can anyone tell me why there is an extra jumper wire and why the bottom black wire on the fan switch isn't hot? Sorry if details are lacking, I just drew up this quick picture off memory from attempting the swap yesterday. I can provide actual pictures at a later point if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Name:  lights.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  12.9 KB

Old 07-10-17, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,867 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have two cables..... one is the hot line coming in and the other is hot going out to something else..... possibly a receptacle.

The jumper across the switches carries always live in to always live out.

When you make up the splices for the new switches.... those two black wires will get connected together. The pair is considered your hot.

The other two wires off the switches are your loads.
You should have at least four white wires in a splice for neutral.

Old 07-11-17, 06:27 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pete. That makes more sense now that it's going to another outlet or something.

So basically instead of tying the blacks together in a wire nut and splicing out from there, they just used one of the contact points on the switch as their "splice"

I think I should be able to figure it out from here, thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: