Sump pump code, nothing else on circuit?

Old 07-11-17, 12:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump code, nothing else on circuit?

I am pretty certain when wiring for a sump pump, the pumpt needs to be on a dedicated circuit with nothing else to avoid potentials of tripping a breaker and flooding your home, correct?

As I am planning to 'box in' my sump pump in the basement as part of a finishing project, is it ok to possibly add a light switch after the outlet? Is that permitted to still meet code?

Or does the pump need to stay 100% dedicated with nothing else on it at all? After boxing in the area, it will be used sort of like a closet storage and having an overhead light on a switch would be preferred and simplest to extend off the outlet used for the pump. If I can't do that, I'll have to look into getting a switch and wiring in from another source.

Thank you
PT

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-17, 12:33 PM
S
I am far from an expert here, but in my state (NJ) I am fairly certain it has to be on a dedicated circuit by itself. Thats also (I *think*) the only way to get around the requirement for having it--as a basement receptacle--on GFCI.

Old 07-11-17, 03:51 PM
A
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
It is common sense but no national code, maybe local. The installation instructions may state that a dedicated circuit is required.

Old 07-11-17, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,168 Votes on 1,083 Posts
Although a dedicated circuit to the pump is not required it is recommended.
Adding a light in the closet where the sump pump is ok for that circuit.

Code does require the pump to be on a GFI circuit.

(My opinion on that requirement differs but the code is the code.)

Old 07-12-17, 07:30 AM
P
Does the pump really need to be on a GFI circuit or outlet? I only ask that since the current wiring (when I bought the home) is the pump is connected to a single outlet and is not on a GFI circuit or outlet.

And it seems to get confusing that a GFI is needed/code when in a finished area, and is not needed for an unfinished room?

Old 07-12-17, 07:33 AM
Does the pump really need to be on a GFI circuit or outlet?
Yes, according to current NEC. But your location may be on an older code version. Whether you want to install one is a different matter.

And it seems to get confusing that a GFI is needed/code when in a finished area, and is not needed for an unfinished room?
You have that backwards. Are you perhaps mixing up GFCI and AFCI requirements?

Old 07-12-17, 07:34 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Code now requires GFI protection for a sump pump receptacle (no exceptions). Historically it was not strictly required.

GFI is required in all unfinished basement, utility or garage rooms.

Old 07-12-17, 08:13 AM
P
ok, thanks for the tips.

So when I'm ready, I'll replace the existing outlet with GFI and then should be ok adding a light switch after it.

Old 07-12-17, 09:28 AM
B
Some states like Oregon have exemptions to certain things being on a GFCI like sump pumps and refrigerators/freezers in a basement/garage.

Ask your local electrical inspector if there are any special rules/exemptions for your state. They usually have certain hours where you can go ask them questions.

Oregon exemptions...
http://www.oregon.gov/bcd/laws-rules..._Table_1-E.pdf

Old 07-14-17, 12:22 PM
Received 91 Votes on 81 Posts
I'll replace the existing outlet with GFI and then should be ok adding a light switch after it.
You should add the light switch BEFORE the GFCI device otherwise when the GFCI trips you'll be trying to reset it in the dark.