Replacing light switch with Z-Wave

Old 07-11-17, 02:33 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing light switch with Z-Wave

Hi everyone,

I bought a Z-Wave Leviton light switch hoping to control my exterior patio lights. I've changed a few receptacles before but haven't changed a light switch before. I thought it would be as simple as the receptacle (as stated in the diagram) but it looks like the wiring is a bit different.

I've taken some images and a quick video to see if I can get some advice from you guys on what to do.

I am trying to replace this switch:

The confusion I am having is the Leviton switch seems to requires the black, white, and red wires in this diagram:

Full Image Resolution: http://i.imgur.com/KwVJVWs.jpg

Would anyone be able to give me a bit of advice how I would go about wiring the new switch?

Here are more images of the two switches. I am changing the exterior light (on the right), and keeping the interior light (on the left) as is.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old 07-11-17, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As a new member.... since you posted five or more pictures.... your post was in moderation. It has been approved.

You have a fairly easy job there.
The two black wires can be used just as they are on the new switch.
You will need to add a short piece of white wire to the neutral splice for the switch.

Name:  working.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  37.3 KB

Old 07-12-17, 05:43 AM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
If those switches are not listed as self grounding then the ground needs to be directly connected to the ground screw on the switches. I don't see any grounds to the switches.

Old 07-12-17, 08:03 AM
R
Wow thank you for the diagram, I will be browsing these forums more often. I will head to home depot today and pickup some wiring and try it out.

I noticed there was no grounding wire though on either switches, but there is copper attached to the ground screws in the back. Do you think that is fine? Or do I need to attach copper wire to the ground screw and then the back of the box?

Old 07-12-17, 08:09 AM
R
Thanks pattenp, I was wondering this as well. I noticed there is copper attached to the ground screws at the back of the box. Do you think its safer to just go ahead and ground the other two switches?

Old 07-12-17, 10:08 AM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
To be on the safe side attach ground to each outlet and also the box.

Old 07-13-17, 12:39 PM
R
Thanks pattenp. I bought 1M of 14 AWG wire. Does the ground wire have to be bare? Or can I use insulated ground wire as well?

Old 07-13-17, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
The ground wire can be green insulated or bare.

Old 07-13-17, 02:37 PM
R
Thanks PJmax, I've been told mixed things. Some people say since the metal box is grounded the switches don't have to be. What is the difference if I were to not ground it?

Old 07-13-17, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Technically the switches are grounded thru the mounting screws. The ground screw on the switches is primarily for use in a plastic box.

Since the screws to the box could be loose and the switches move.... the ground is not considered 100% solid. Hence the reason for the ground wire.

In my opinion....
On a receptacle.... the ground wire is a must. On a switch.... it's optional.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: