socket problem

Old 07-12-17, 02:51 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
socket problem

Members location is Ireland.

hello guys have an issue with one of the socket in the apartment , so problem is that if you turn on socket its seems to be okay but if you just plug any device to it it kicks out main fuse , you dont even need to run device only plug and and instant kick off main fuse where can be possible problem here

Last edited by ray2047; 07-13-17 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-12-17, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It would appear to be a damaged receptacle. It will probably need to be replaced.

Since you're living in apartment you may need to call for building maintenance.

Old 07-12-17, 04:20 PM
E
receptacle you mean socket it self if so then i can tell i tried to replace two new sockets same problem with both , i event tried to connect L and N directly to my tv adapter it still kicks off so for sure i know problem is not in the sockets its ether in wires witch i cant think off any possible problems or in fuses

Old 07-12-17, 04:28 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You need to add your location to your profile. This is primarily a North American forum. The equipment and practices we are familiar with may vary from yours. Here if you rent for reasons of liability we always advise don't do not do any electrical work, call the landlord.

Sounds like a short that the landlord needs to fix immediately as it could cause a fire.

receptacle you mean socket it self
This is how I knew you might not be U.S. Here the term is receptacle though many incorrectly say outlet.

Old 07-13-17, 12:45 AM
E
i just add my location i am from ireland , and i own apartment . And i just want to know what can be possible wrong cuz its seems odd to me that its kicks of main fuse once you plug anything into that one socket .

Old 07-13-17, 01:15 AM
Obvious question have you tried it with different items plugged in and did it still trip regardless of what was plugged in? If so in the U.S. I'd suggest as a test, with breaker off pull the receptacle out of the junction box, leave it hanging with no wires touching and the load plugged in. Does the breaker still trip when you turn it on but not knowing if your receptacles are fastened to a junction box set into the wall or if they are self contained.

What is a "main fuse"? Here you have a panel board with several branch circuit fuses or breakers. The main fuse or breaker is a single breaker or fuse that protects the whole panel. Normally only the breakers or fuses for a single circuit is what trips or blows. Which do you mean the breaker or fuse for the whole panel or just the fuse or breaker in the box for the receptacles circuit. Because you write "kicks off" do you really have breakers not fuses?

Please post a picture of your panel board (breaker box-fuse box) with the inside cover off so we can see the connections inside. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html Also a picture of the receptacle because your wiring devices are different.

Old 07-13-17, 11:50 AM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
IIRC, Irish plugs are like UK plugs; Type G with a fuse in each plug to protect the cord and appliance. I believe there is also a fuse on each circuit.
Name:  British fused plug.png
Views: 152
Size:  22.2 KB [ATTACH=CONFIG]83021[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-13-17, 03:25 PM
E
yea it doent matter what you plug to that socket what ever you plug it will trip anyway main fuse anyway , Name:  DSC_0267.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  35.3 KB fuse nr 1 is the fuse for that socket circuit as far as i know only that one socket are connected to this fuse main fuse it gets tripped if this fuse is on and socket is on and something is plugged in into socket , if nothing plugged in into socket then everything is fine as i said i tried 2 new sockets same issue it doent matter what i try tv , drill , transformer its always trips main fuse one you plug in
some more photos
Name:  DSC_0268.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  40.0 KBName:  DSC_0269.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  38.1 KBName:  DSC_0270.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  31.0 KBName:  DSC_0274.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  27.4 KBName:  DSC_0276.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  28.4 KB

i was thinking that maybe somebody screw trough the wire but then fuse will be tripped straight away

Old 07-13-17, 04:21 PM
You really need to find a UK forum to help you or call an electrician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: