Extend/add outdoor receptacle

Old 07-13-17, 10:12 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extend/add outdoor receptacle

We currently have one receptacle on the deck near the door from the morning room. I am thinking about adding an additional receptacle on the other side of the morning room under the deck (about 25 feet away) for the low voltage lighting on the stairs and the octagon on our deck. If I use 14-2 Gray Solid CU UF-B W/G Cable do I need it to be in a conduit for the run to the new receptacle or can I staple it along the deck ledger board? I think I read something about not running wire in conduit and then somewhere else it can if its buried at a certain depth. At the receptacle termination I will use a GFCI outlet even though none of the three existing receptacles on the outside have them. I think inside at the break box the circuit is a GFCI breaker. The space under the deck is unusable and will be closed off with privacy lattice. Until then the wiring can not be seen from the stair area , left of the deck, or front of the deck. I will be seen slightly from the right side of the deck since that side is higher.

Location of new Receptacle
Name:  20170712_194118_HDR.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  34.8 KB

Existing Receptacle on the Right above deck
Name:  20170712_194058_HDR.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  35.0 KB

In summary this is what I plan to do:
1. Add Box extender to the existing outlet box and seal.
2. Add flexible gray conduit below deck from the outlet box.
3. Run wire along the ledger board or in conduit.
4. Terminate to a with a weather proof outlet box.
5. Use weather tight cover and GFCI receptacle at termination outlet box.
Please let me know what changes need to be made

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-17, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,153 Likes on 2,834 Posts
If the circuit is currently protected by a GFI circuit breaker..... you don't need or want to add a GFI receptacle.

You can use UF cable stapled directly to the framing/floor joists. That would be considered protected.

Adding an extension ring to your existing box may look a little clumsy. Since the wiring comes from below it may be easier to add a junction box below to split the supply line.

How is that box currently supplied..... UF cable.... conduit ?

Old 07-13-17, 02:07 PM
N
Thanks! I was hoping you would be lurking around here. Thanks for clearing up the receptacle. I should have attached this picture when I first started the thread. The existing outlet box is above the deck.

Name:  20170713_160227.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  17.1 KB

Old 07-13-17, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,153 Likes on 2,834 Posts
I had thought the wiring came up from the bottom of the deck. That looks to be fed from inside the house.

An extension ring is one way to handle the connection.
How about going in to/thru the basement ?

Old 07-13-17, 02:46 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
I prefer to use liquidtight or rigid PVC conduit in this case, but UF-B cable is acceptable by code. My biggest concern with exposed UF is that it is vulnerable to vermin. Squirrels will chew it up if they get the chance.

Old 07-13-17, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 155 Likes on 137 Posts
that cover looks like it is for a vertical install, but installed horizontally.

Old 07-14-17, 07:11 AM
N
Pjmax - Yea that is being fed from the living room. It sticks out quite a bit now and my plan was to cover it with a decorative planter box or small bench so it is not seen as much. It's near my grill area so I am usually the only person in that corner...lol. I finished the basement area with my fish room so now the basement would be hard unless one of the lines that runs above the window under the deck is also on the same circuit. I doubt it is because for some reason the left side of the house (looking from back yard) has zero outlets boxes .

Old 07-14-17, 07:14 AM
N
ibpooks - I was thinking about using the liquid tight at the end of the run and at the branch from the original just to make it look nice. I may end up using rigid as that stuff if much cheaper than I had thought. It's under $2 for a 10 foot section. Maybe a combination would work with the liquid tight on the the ends and the rigid for the run. Is that possible? What size conduit would be acceptable 1/2" or 3/4" if running the wire through it?

Old 07-14-17, 07:18 AM
N
pcboss - I think the cover is OK but I could be wrong. All the outside outlets were done the same way by the builder. The lower right hand side has a cord management port so the cover stays weather free. I could be wrong but so far they have been no issues with our Christmas lights.

Old 07-14-17, 02:19 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Yeah you can mix-n-match rigid PVC and liquidtight. Use threaded fittings at the transitions. They sell pre-made liquidtight with fittings that are about 12" for making corners and box connections.

1/2" would be enough if you're using THWN wires (black, white & green). If you use UF cable it's tougher to pull through conduit so maybe go up to 3/4" in that case.

Old 07-25-17, 03:01 PM
N
So I ran out to get all the parts I thought I would need to finish my project but ran into an issue after laying out everything in a dry fit. It appears the white part is some sort of extension and the cover is a Pass & Seymour WIUC10GL cover. I did not see any knock out holes on the the bottom of either. I was thinking of going and getting a plastic box but when I was in HD the other day I did not see any plastic boxes with a hole in the back of them. I only saw the metal ones. Do I need to replace the white extension box with a metal outlet box or add a outlet box to the white part then add the cover. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once I get past this part I think I should have it finished in no time.

Old 07-25-17, 05:49 PM
L
Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
That white plastic extension piece looks like siding trim. You can add a outdoor metal extension box on top of it and use holes on them.

Old 07-25-17, 07:16 PM
N
lambition - Is that something that HD or Lowes will sell or do I need to special order from a siding pace. Also do you know if they have a low profile version of it? This one sticks out pretty far and then the outlet box is going to add another 2 inches or so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: