New pseudo RV Pedestal

Old 07-17-17, 01:05 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New pseudo RV Pedestal

Name:  IMG_7662.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  33.8 KB
I'm installing 220v 200 amp service from the pwr company's disconnect box, (see picture) over to a wooden post "like an RV pedestal setup". Looks like "EARTH Ground" is bonded to neutral? I'm going about 45 feet from the disconnect over to the CB box/load center. We have a new 200 amp exterior load center and combination 20 amp circuit breakers. So I'm thinking (3) 4/0 direct burial at 24 inches. When it comes out of the ground should I use 3" or 2" schedule 80 with an 90 degree at the bottom at each end? Also thinking only 2 circuits (20 amps ea) at this time. One for the permanent parked travel trailer. Another circuit for an extension cord to power occasional power tools. Thinking of mounting the all weather outlets at the bottom of the load center with 3 inch nipples. The whole thing mounts on a fiberglass panel. Then all of that gets mounted to a 6x6 treated post 4 feet in the ground. So what height should the "outlet receptacles/load center" be? For a post stabilized I'm thinking of a 3' x3' concrete pad. Also I think I need the large grounding rod with #6 copper bonded to the box and 220 v neutral. Does this look reasonable? Any and all comments are welcomed.

Old 07-17-17, 01:21 PM
B
Name:  P1070742.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  26.2 KBBTW here are pictures of the post and load center.

Attached Images   
Old 07-17-17, 01:49 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Hi Bob,

The ground-neutral bond happens in the panel which contains the service disconnect breaker or switch. Usually this happens in the first panel after the meter, but if you have a meter/main combination box it should happen there. That means you'll need a 4 wire feed to your new panel if the ground-neutral bond happens in the power company disconnect panel. If that applies to you, the ground should be #4.

2" conduit is sufficient for the service conductors.

The outlet boxes can be mounted below the panel using conduit nipples. In my area the power company requires a minimum of 3/4" treated plywood on 4x6 posts to support a panel. Check with your local authority on minimum structural requirement. The panel height needs to be less than 6'-7" to the top breaker handle. National code doesn't specify a minimum height, but local code or power company rules might. Best to keep it above the maximum snow level if that's a concern in your area.

Old 07-17-17, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Would one of these be better suited?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8FQUYW...a-319132207842

Old 07-18-17, 05:53 AM
B
Thanks Greg,

Just so I clearly understand, I need 4 wires out of the disconnect box, all 4 should be 4/0? I don't need a grounding rod and bare copper wire at my circuit breaker box?

Old 07-18-17, 05:59 AM
B
Thanks lawrosa,

My son not knowing better and wanting to help unknown to me purchased it last year. It can't be returned so I need to use it. But with said I really like your idea better.

Bob

Old 07-19-17, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
For $129 bucks I would get the pedestal box. Sell what you have on craigslist or e bay.

Old 07-20-17, 07:04 AM
B
OOPS, Sorry Ben about mis identifying you. Don't know what I was thinking.

Old 07-20-17, 07:21 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
No problem. Yeah you need four wires: the hots should be #4/0 aluminum, the neutral can be dropped to #2/0 if you want or could use #4/0 aluminum, and the ground should be #4 aluminum (or #6 copper). The main disconnect box is the only spot the ground and neutral bond. After that they should be on separate buses, so in your RV panel you will need to remove the ground-neutral bond screw or strap and buy an add-on ground bar which will screw directly to the metal box.

The RV panel also needs an earth ground bonded to the add-on ground bar which can be accomplished with an 8' ground rod, bronze acorn clamp and #6 bare copper wire (aluminum not allowed for this). I usually drive the rod into the bottom of the wire trench and zip-tie the #6 to the conduit coming up into the panel. Drive the rod so it will end up a couple inches below the soil line. There will be a small 1/4" knock out hole for the bare ground wire right next to the large conduit KO.

Old 07-20-17, 05:20 PM
Received 166 Likes on 149 Posts
Just so I clearly understand, I need 4 wires out of the disconnect box, all 4 should be 4/0?
Here's the easy way, just buy Mobile Home Feeder by the foot and you get all the conductors required.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/4-0-4-0-4-0...e-Foot/3129329

Old 07-21-17, 05:22 PM
B
Thanks to Ben, Mike and CasualJoe. Feeling confident in doing things correctly.In two weeks I'll be at the lake and will finish up. I'll let you all know how the inspection went.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: