Adding 220 for a spa

Old 05-02-01, 05:50 PM
Visiting Guest
We are wanting to buy a spa for our outdoor deck, but we have discovered that we will need to add a sub-panel(ours is maxed out) and a 220(for 50 amp service). The electrician wants approx $1100 to do this, mostly because they have to run the wires through one attic-up the wall(into the second story) then through that attic then drop down the outside of the house to the deck. My question is this: Is there any reason why we can't buy the wire (maybe at Home Depot) run it, but do NO connections and let the electrician do the rest? That's about 75 Ft. of wire, but we've done it for our cable so I don't know why we couldn't do this. The main problem would be knowing what wire we needed. I have a feeling that most electricians would't go along with this. What is your advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-01, 06:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Nancy;
The manner of install is in art 680, it's more than just running a given wire, it's how it's run.
the thing is, it's water and electricity that create particular electrical needs for a safe install , your electrician may not choose to stand behind your work, or even hook it up. you may want to ask him/her just what you can do for yourself here.

Old 05-02-01, 07:28 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Wirenuts is right you need to know this installation is wired right. The price seems rather high though. Why didn't he just go down to the crawl?

If it were me, I would call about three qualified electricians for competive bids, require permits and inspections. Then hire the lowest bid.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 05-03-01, 07:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Wgoodrich
Wirenuts is right you need to know this installation is wired right. The price seems rather high though. Why didn't he just go down to the crawl?

If it were me, I would call about three qualified electricians for competive bids, require permits and inspections. Then hire the lowest bid.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 05-03-01, 07:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Spa/new 220

Thanks guys for your quick response. You were both a big help! We are having two other electricians come out and take a look.