wanted to install a dimmer

Old 05-02-01, 06:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I wanted to install a dimmer switch in my dining room, but when I pulled the face plate off and looked to match up my wires, all of the wires in the wall and connected to the switch are black. None are red or green or white, or any other differentiating color, as the instructions tell me they will be, or as the guy at the hardware store told me they'd be.

Why are none of the wires color coded? Obviously, I left everything alone, and probably won't be installing my dimmer, but I was curious. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-01, 07:10 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
wiring dimmer switch

Hi C_B. The wires are black because a switch is electrically connected into the black (hot) wire only. Since you put the switch back in you can now turn the breaker off to that switch and check the wires on the old switch. If there are just two wires on the old switch, disconnect them and wire nut them to the two leads of the dimmer switch. (one to one lead and the other to the other lead) If the switch has three wires connected to it it is a two-way switch and the installation becomes more difficult.
Let us know how you make out.