Installing whole home surge suppressor

Old 07-24-17, 06:55 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing whole home surge suppressor

I am about to install a whole home surge suppressor. The version I have requires a dedicated 50amp breaker.
The recommendations I have read indicate the the surge suppression should be mounted high in the electrical panel (closer to main breaker) and the leads to the surge supressor should be a short as possible.

My electrical panel is mounted between 2x6 studs. so I can't easy mount the surge suppressor on the side (I suppose I could drill a hole in the 2x6 to one of the knockouts on the side of the panel)

If I install on the bottom of the panel (easy), the highest position the leads will reach are the 3rd and 4th breaker positions.

Is the effort to come in from the side and get closer to the main breaker worth it?

Appreciate anyone's comments.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-17, 08:04 AM
P
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
Can it be surface mounted above the panel and use a short piece of flex to get the breaker located at the top.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  9.9 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 07-24-17 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Enlarge image.
Old 07-24-17, 11:54 AM
I
Thank you for the comment.
I don't have any knockouts available on the top of the box as all of the home circuits go through the top of the box. I will look tonight to see if some can be shifted to make room.

I wonder big is penalty on the surge suppression performance if I am down lower in panel?
Ian

Old 07-24-17, 12:46 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It can be mounted in the bottom of the panel if that is more convenient. The position of the breaker in the panel is rather irrelevant. The most important part is to have a quality earth ground, as short and straight path as practical.

Old 08-04-17, 06:48 PM
I
I ended up coming in from the side through the 2x6 using correct size hole saw. Worked like a champ.