New GFCI receptacle will not reset

Old 07-27-17, 04:49 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New GFCI receptacle will not reset

I am a retired construction electrician (conduit, big, gear, industrial, and little if any residential) helping remodel my brother in laws kitchen.
I am replacing a GFCI receptacle with a new one.
It will not set at all. The box was crowded, but I know the homerun, and the load. I disconnected the load, and have 120v at the terminals. Not a multwire branch circuit.

I did have to crawl alot in the attic and did notice some crawl boards were on top of the romex.

Ihave tried two GFCI receptacles because the same thing is happening on a multiwire in another part of the kitchen.

I read another post where someone tighten the aluminum lugs at the main panelboard, but I can't imagine this is the problem.
Racking my brain, but would love to hear from someone who does residential for a living.

Humbly awaiting any insight

Old 07-27-17, 05:52 PM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
You may have neutral touching ground somewhere on that circuit. Check all outlets along that circuit.

Edit, I may have misunderstood. With the GFCI outlet connected only on line side and no connection to the load terminals, it won't set.

Old 07-27-17, 06:19 PM
B
Yes, but the splices in the box have yet to be removed. I will have to chisel the mud ring out and pull out all the splices and make sure the grounded and grounding conductors are free of nicks etc.

Is it possible (anything is) that the boards in the attic squished the romex, causing nuetral and ground contact?

Its the only common denominator between two completely separate locations with the same problem.

Theres 15" of insulation, so I'm not looking forward to digging into that.

Old 07-27-17, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Just connect line side and see if it will set before you go digging.

Old 07-27-17, 06:38 PM
B
Yep, and I'm going to put the GFCI on a breaker directly to see if the GFCI receptacle is good.

Old 07-27-17, 06:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
I would guess your problem is down stream from outlet but best to check first. Digging mud ring out sounds better than digging in insulation.

Old 07-27-17, 06:53 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Might be you need to push the reset button really hard.

My latest batch of Leviton's require me to push the reset button really hard the first time I use them. Harder than I would have thought.

Old 07-28-17, 05:03 AM
B
Interesting. I did press the reset button, and it held for about a second. I'm thinking it was hard enough to engage the mechanism.

Old 07-28-17, 05:07 AM
B
No wires are attached to load side

I was hooked directly to the branch circuit feeder, with nothing down line, yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: