Pool light conduit - replace wires?

Old 07-29-17, 05:40 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool light conduit - replace wires?

I am replacing a Hayward Color Logic 4.0 pool light. I think Hayward wants me to run the 50' cord from the pool light all the way to
the junction / switch box at the house. There is currently a junction box in the pool deck above the light, then conduit to the junction box at the house. The exiting 3 wires in the conduit wont budge. I read another forum post that mentioned a slide hammer puller. Is that an appropriate way to try and pull the wires?
The junction box in the pool deck fills with water and water runs all through the conduit to the house. If I can get the junction box in the pool deck dry, it is acceptable to cut the 50' cord on the pool light and wire it to the existing wires?
I think I could get a cord stopper or pack the conduit from the junction box to the pool with something to keep it dry.
Any advice is greatly appreciated - looks like it is going to be difficult to pull the old wiring and run the pool light cord through the existing conduit.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-17, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The junction box in the pool deck fills with water and water runs all through the conduit to the house.
The deck box is supposed to be high enough so it doesn't fill with water.
Where is the water coming from..... the ground ?

Is the conduit PVC or metal ?

Old 07-30-17, 04:48 AM
B
The conduit is metal. At the house, where it comes out of the ground it is thoroughly rusted out. That will need to be addressed.
The box is in the pool deck so water can come up from the niche. The cord stopper is pretty well worn and is probably leaking. The box cover needs to be worked on and sealed in order to keep rain water out of it. I think I can address the box issue and keep it dry.
I suppose Hayward provides the long cord to ensure there is a sealed connection from the light all of the way to the main junction box. I hate to waste that good cord and possibly void the warranty but if I cannot get the old wires out of the conduit I may have no other choice.

Old 07-30-17, 06:25 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The conduit is metal. At the house, where it comes out of the ground it is thoroughly rusted out.
It sounds like EMT. If EMT it should never have been used if buried. it should be abandoned and new PVC or IM/RM metal conduit used.

Old 07-30-17, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
The box is in the pool deck so water can come up from the niche.
If the box is above the deck, it's above the water level. How does water travel up.

The box, by code, is supposed be at least 4" above the deck or 8" above the pool water level.

No other choice to do what..... splice inside the box ?
That is do-able but not if the box fills with water.

Also.... you may void the warranty on the Hayward fixture by splicing there.

Old 07-30-17, 03:23 PM
B
The box is in the deck, i.e. flush with the surface of the pool deck and about 3" deep. The water level is 3-4" below the pool deck - so water can come in through the cable hole to the niche. I think the idea was for the stopper on the cable to stop water from coming up.
I could probably get the box dry with a new stopper but I prefer to not splice the wires here and run the wire that came with the light through the conduit. Just need to get the old wires out of the conduit. That could take awhile. Trying Klein foam lubricant and now WD-40 in combination with steady pressure applied using a come-a-long.

Old 07-30-17, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
If the conduit rusted thru underground there would be very little chance of pulling the wiring out.

Even if you did get it out.... there would little chance of pulling something thru intact.

I haven't roughed in a pool with a light in many years but here if there was no diving board... the deck box went out to the end of the sidewalk.

The fixture is in a wet niche and the conduit between the light and box does get water in it.

Old 08-01-17, 06:06 PM
B
If those attachments work ....
Image 652 is from the edge of the pool deck looking towards the box in the deck - about 20'.
Image 653 is a close up of this concrete cylinder about where I would expect the conduit to be coming out from under the pool deck.
Image 654 is a look back towards the house and panel. Yes, down about 10' of rock covered bank and then under the brick walkway.
Hopefully I can locate the conduit coming out from under the deck and re-use that part. If not, I'm thinking about cutting around the box in the pool deck. The box (circle) is about 4" in diameter - I think I will need room around it if I have to run new conduit under the deck.
Time to stop wishing the wires out of the conduit and time to start digging and tunneling.
Any advice is welcomed.

Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  p2.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  p3.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  46.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-01-17 at 07:39 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Old 08-01-17, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
I can feel your pain.

No matter how you look at it.... it's not going to be an easy job. I'd almost imagine the pool light conduit to be in the same trench as the water supply and return lines. That would place them down several feet at the decks edge.

Old 08-01-17, 09:05 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
While you're at it...

Consider converting to 12V LED. Fundamentally so much safer, and saves energy.